Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day 3 — Kansas City to Denver

On Day 3 we left Kansas City and drove to Denver. One of the first cool things we saw was what I assume was the Kansas State capital building, in Topeka. Which makes me even more curious to know how the WVa people keep their dome so shiny, since this one looks like the Utah dome.

Next we drove past Ft. Riley, where we saw a whole bunch of apache helicopters parked together. Unfortunately we only got a picture of one. They are huge!

Driving through Kansas proves that I am very easily entertained. I loved looking at all of the clouds. Especially through my new sunglasses, which, though they hurt my ears, provide increased saturation to everything I look at.

I have a question about Kansas. What is it with the churches? Maybe everywhere has churches like these, and you just don't see them because there are hills and taller trees. But in Kansas every now and then you'll see a small community, and then rising above everything else, an ornate church. We even saw a sign for the "Historic Cathedral of the Plains" but did not stop to investigate.

At one point we passed a stop freight train and enjoyed looking at the graffiti. My pictures didn't turn out (something about being taken while driving 75mph?) so I found this one online. Where, you might ask? Why at graffiti.org! Who knew! I am curious about train graffiti. Do the train people like it? How do people do such interesting art with cans of spray paint? Do their fingers get tired from holding the little nozzle???

Late in the afternoon we started seeing gloomy skies ahead of us. We stopped at a rest stop and were startled by the ferocity of the wind. Then we started seeing lightning in the clouds off in the distance, and finally we drove into torrential rain. Ok, not torrential in the "North Carolina you'd better pull off the road because you can no longer see a thing" sense, but still a good downpour.

Later after we arrived at our most excellent hotel in Denver there was a huge storm, complete with lots of lightning outside of our 4th floor hotel window. It was awesome— very thoughtful of Denver to have arranged such a nice storm for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment