Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Miracle that Keeps on Happening

Timing is everything.

If you'll remember, I blogged here about Ken & Alisyn's serpentine belt breaking on the interstate near St. Augustine, and the series of tender mercies that got us back on the road that night.

In and after the moment I was highly aware of the difficulties that it would have caused if the car had needed more repairs than Ray the tow truck driver could perform, particularly because both dads and two of the boys were supposed to leave for scout came as soon as we got home.

It would also have been difficult if the car had broken down again the next day as we drove our 517 miles back to Durham.

Two weeks after we got back their serpentine belt came off again. Shredded again. This time whatever happened ruined the car beyond repair.

It was inconvenient that they had to scramble and buy a new (to them) van. But as I was talking about it with a friend I realized that it would have been much more than inconvenient if it had died:
  • on the 7 mile bridge in the Keys
  • somewhere between the Keys and Durham
  • while taking teenagers to the pioneer trek this week
(or my personal favorite)
  • next week when Jason drives their van (long and complicated story) up to Virginia to EFY while we are hundreds of miles away from home at the beach.
There's never really a good time for a car to die. But all things considered, the timing of the death throes of this van qualify as a major tender mercy...

4 comments:

  1. Woooooooooooah... you're letting JASON drive the Rogersons' van up to Buena Vista?

    You have definitely relaxed since your first teenage driver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I did let you help me drive from NC to Utah, if you'll remember! If Jason didn't do this then Ken was going to have to drive from the beach to Yancyville (north of Greensboro) to retrieve his sister & his family on Wednesday. He would have had to spend all day driving instead of all day playing at the beach with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a spiritual gift for discerning the Lord's hand in the details of your life. I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan--I wonder. After Elder Eyring's great talk on seeing the hand of the Lord in your life we made little journals in FHE so that we could all write down something every night. I was surprised at how hard that was on a daily basis. I wonder if I've gotten better at it?

    ReplyDelete