Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentines Schmalentines

It’s been a crazy week.  They’re all crazier than I’d like, (more on that later) but this one has been particularly busy.  In addition to the wonderful moments I detailed in my post on Wednesday, my week has included a dress rehearsal, a very long (and wonderful concert), and a court of honor.  Several days have been nap-less and several nights have been super-late.  So yes…I didn’t come into Valentine’s day at my best.

It was a busy day.  Regular school, choir, a bunch of cleaning, short nap, dinner making, etc.  Russ came home a little late because he had to pick up his prescription and some last minute dinner ingredients, and he brought with him some lovely flowers and candy. 

[I should stop and interject that our “new” valentine’s tradition, at least with the kids, is to buy candy the day after so that they get more bang for our buck.  So nothing that happened can be ascribed to any kind of sugar high.  No, that was tonight.]

I was finishing up dinner (delicious muchachas) and trying at the same time to get our one big valentine’s tradition ready—our super-sized sugar cookies.  The kids were already a little crazy before we sat down to eat dinner, and by the time we were eating, oh my.  By the end of the meal Josh was standing on his chair, bouncing up and down while screeching.  The other kids, taking their cue from him, were either manic or whiny.  I was not sure if I was going to be able to get away from the table with my sanity intact.

When we were done eating we tied Josh to a chair and gagged him told Josh he needed to calm down and sent the other kids to bed.  They were a bit offended at being sent off so early, but since they’d been up till 9:30 Wednesday night and were going to be getting up at 6:30 on Friday, I felt ok about doing that.  In fact, I felt great about it.

I helped get things cleaned up and then sat down on the couch thinking that I would get something done, but before too long I could tell that I was a lost cause. 

I went to bed at 8:51.

Today everyone seems to have settled back to their normal-ish selves.  I am reminded again of how awesome these kids usually are, and I am grateful that last night was an anomaly and not a regular occurrence.  Cause I’m not sure how many of those I have in me…

DSC_3657

(This picture doesn’t have anything to do with what I just wrote about—it’s from Friday which was pink day at school.  I love seeing the fashion ideas my cute girls come up with.)

No comments:

Post a Comment