Thursday, December 6, 2012

the Stomach Situation

Since this blog is meant to be a history of sorts for me, I thought I’d write a little about what’s going on with my stomach.  Feel free to ignore it.

I was really careful with what I ate for a couple of weeks after my lovely night in the ER.  After about two weeks I stopped taking the 2nd zantac (at dinner) and was still doing ok.  I even added back in some sugar and chocolate, though I was careful to avoid ibuprofen and caffeine.  (So sad—those are two of my favorite things, especially together.)  I had to be careful to keep food in my stomach, but things seemed to be ok.

And then came Thanksgiving.  The problems wasn’t so much from Thanksgiving dinner—I was careful, I didn’t eat too much, and I felt fine.  I think the problem started a few hours later when we had a meal made entirely of pie…way too much sugar for whatever it is that’s going on in my stomach.  My annual post-Thanksgiving pie breakfast just added insult to injury, and I spent the rest of the weekend with intermittent stomach pain.  By Sunday afternoon it was pretty bad and I spent the afternoon sitting in bed eating saltines.  Since then it’s been anyone’s guess.  I did learn with some certainty the other morning that hot sausage is not a good idea,  and earlier this week that fasting is not a good idea, but I felt terrible for several hours this morning and I have no clue why.  (Is 9:30 really too late to eat breakfast?)  All I can say is thank goodness for tums, and that I am glad that I have a good supply of percocet & phenergen should the need arise

It’s frustrating that there are no real answers.  There are not even easy tests to get real answers.  I could get a doctor to treat me for an ulcer based on symptoms, but at this point I’m not convinced that’s what it is, and I hate to take a bunch of antibiotics for no reason.  So for the time being I’ll just keep watching what I eat, and paying attention to what seems to make me feel bad, and hope like crazy that it never gets completely out of control again like it did before. 

2 comments:

  1. Any chance it could be triggered or exacerbated (I think that's the right word!) by your water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sausage=spicy+greasy=very bad!

    Definitely try those papaya enzymes... I think they might help you a bit. Have you been eating a lot of yogurt? I imagine loading your system with probiotics wouldn't hurt....

    Sorry it's on-going and frustrating though!

    ReplyDelete