Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Chocolate Family Night

Mondays have suddenly gotten more difficult at our house.  After guarding them for Family Night for years and years, all of a sudden Josh has swim practice on Monday evenings and the girls have a color guard group.  We’ve been trying to have family night on Sundays, but this week we had tithing settlement & our home teachers came, and that was pretty much the end of the evening. 

On Monday I’ve been trying to serve dinner at 5:15, but I know that the girls will be hungry again by the time they’re back at 7:30, and Josh won’t eat before practice so he will be starving.  Last night as we were eating I decided that when everyone was back home we’d have a chocolate tasting party so that at least we were doing something together. 

Russ always buys  me a box of truffles at Costco for my birthday, so of course for the last few weeks I’d been watching the candy selection.  I was sad not to see the box of belgian truffles that I’ve enjoyed from our NC store, and eventually “suggested” a different package to Russ.  The next week I saw a woman at the checkout with a box of Belgian Chocolate Cups.  I asked her if they were fabulous and she said they were, so I figured our family should give them a try.  I brought them home and stuck them under the bed waiting for the right moment.

IMG_4630

We had such fun trying out all of the different combinations—dark chocolate layers, pistachio centers, almond paste, crème brulee—these were far more exotic than our usual grocery store chocolate. 

IMG_4631

Some parts were unexpectedly delicious.  Some parts were universally disliked.  (coffee flavored chocolate bean, anyone?)  Some of us ate only a few of our selection, while others were determined to finish them off before bedtime.

IMG_4633

I’m pretty sure that most of the kids will never remember when they are adults that one night we sat around the table and tried out fancy belgian chocolates.  What I do hope they remember is that we (often) sat around the table, and that we laughed together and had fun together.  Those are the only details that matter…

3 comments:

  1. Um, YUM, wish I had been there! Best family night ever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. My mom once took a trip to belgium and brought back some chocolates in a little box for us. She said that the store where she bought them felt like a jewelry store, with chocolates instead of jewels- they were definitely very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun AND delicious! While your looking for tasty things at Costco, see if yours has Kirkland mint chocolate cookies (they have a fancier name than that). They come in a tall, green rectangular box tied with a bow. They are glorified thin mint cookies and are divine! Very sad they don't have them at our Durham store.

    ReplyDelete