Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The first day of the rest of our lives…

IMG_2844

Dear Russ,

Twenty-two years ago on New Year’s day we headed north from Provo to Pocatello, ready to start the next part of our life together—“the job years.”  I didn’t really know what to expect.  There were times during your last semester at BYU, when you were flying all over for job interviews and trying to study for all of your classes too, when you thought that maybe you had chosen the wrong major.  But then you finished the semester with several job offers in hand and a better GPA than expected as well.  And off we went, so poor that you wore your suit pants to work for two weeks until you got paid and could afford some new pants. 

It’s been many years and quite a few jobs since that first paycheck.  I know that each one of your jobs has been a blessing from Heavenly Father, but they’ve also happened because whatever it is that you do (and I have only the vaguest of idea what that is), you do it very well indeed.  One of the tender mercies of your being laid off was that we both received quite a bit of feedback from people you were working with and had worked with about your abilities as a CAD engineer.  One of the people left at your old company lamented that he didn’t know how they would all get their work done without you to support them.  Your first boss here told you,

“You are the best front-end CAD Engineer I know…”

And one of your friends wrote a recommendation for you on LinkedIn that I think I will treasure forever.  It gave me a peek into your working world and made me so proud of you and both the man and the engineer you’ve become.  He said,

“Over the years that I knew and worked with Russ at Mitsubishi and later at Renesas, Russ developed the well-earned reputation as the quiet guru and miracle worker of logic synthesis and chip layout. Russ has all the qualities that you'd want in a CAD engineer: he's calm and unflappable, hypercompetent yet unassuming, highly methodical yet imaginative and creative. He gets the job done and he works well with anyone. In any high-tech industry, egotism, arrogance, and the tensions between type-A personalities can run pretty high, but everyone liked and respected Russ. He was friend to all and mentor to many. Russ is kind of a cross between Buddha and the character "Seraph" from The Matrix Trilogy. He is a talented problem solver and someone who brings tremendous experience and insight to any project. He is also a calming presence. For reasons that nobody could really explain, just having Russ on the team made everything, even tasks that Russ wasn't involved in, run more smoothly. I even had a phrase for it: "X + Russ = 3X". I'm a patent attorney now instead of a chip designer, but if I was starting my own design company, Russ would be employee #2, if I was lucky enough to get him.”

 

I know that new beginnings are awkward and that it will take you a while to hit your stride at Intel.  But I have total confidence in you.  I am so proud of you, so glad that you are mine, and I CAN’T WAIT until we are together again,

All my love,
Cindy

IMG_2619

5 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! Both your tribute and the co-worker's comments. Go Russ! I can't wait for you both to be together again, too! I hope your time apart goes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome comment! This whole post made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me smile too. What a wonderful tribute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Russ!! We know you'll do great:). I hate to write this, but it's actually true- I LOLed at the part about you have only a vague idea of what he does...ditto for me- when I read Eric's dissertation it was like it was in another language!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Took me a while to read it through all the water in my eyes. Must be this Portland rain....

    thank you

    ReplyDelete