Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Escape: Luscious Tidbits

Just a few bits & pieces to wrap up our trip…

I forgot to mention one of the big advertising points of our horse drawn carriage ride in Charleston was:

IMG_2199

Donkey free?  Are some horses tainted with bits of donkey??  Apparently, though, donkeys are very flatulent animals so it’s important to be sure you have a pure horse to ride behind…

 

In Charleston we went into a quirky little gift shop.  We bought a refrigerator magnet with a picture of Rainbow Row on it, but the thing I was the most interested in were the decorations hanging from the ceiling.  They were snowflakes made from white pipe cleaners, and we are totally going to do this next year for Christmas.

IMG_2268IMG_2269IMG_2263IMG_2264IMG_2266

 

Winter appears not to be prime shopping time in Charleston. 

IMG_2284IMG_2285

 

Did I mention that there is a jail in Charleston that executed something like 14,000 people over 150 years?  It’s one of the places that gives haunted Charleston tours.  We didn’t want to take a haunted tour, but we did walk by it in the eerie heavy mist.  I was intrigued by the sign out front.

IMG_2286

Really?  The National Parks Service?  I can’t think of anything farther from a park!

 

Before we went to Savannah I’d heard about the Pirate’s House, but couldn’t figure out what it was all about. I was really surprised when we finally went there to find out that Robert Louis Stevenson’s “Treasure Island” is supposed to have been inspired by the sailor’s tavern that was originally on the site. There is a rumor that there was a tunnel from the tavern that came out on the river, and that sailors who got too drunk would wake up the next morning and find that they had been stolen into slavery to work on a ship.

[I’m not sure why I always thought Treasure Island was a European adventure—maybe I should have actually read the whole book?]

IMG_2601_2_thumb1

Russ & I ate our last meal in Savannah at the Pirate’s House. I had their southern buffet, reputed to be even better than the one at Paula Dean’s restaurant. I can’t compare it, but I can tell you that it was totally delicious. All sorts of downhome southern food—chicken, pot pie, mac & cheese, delicious green beans and garlic mashed potatoes… I even ate one piece of deep friend okra, just so I could say I’d done it. Still loathed the texture. But the rest of it was great!

 

One last miscellaneous tidbit about Savannah. We were walking back to our lovely motel the first night and I noticed that there was a crosswalk with a button to push. I love pushing crosswalk buttons, so I quickly ran over and pushed it. Much to my surprise it talked to me! (I know, I don’t get out much…) In an agitated computer voice it said…

Wait! Wait! Wait!!!

IMG_2600_thumb[2]

I was so entertained that I had to push every crosswalk button we passed from that point on, hoping to get one to talk to us again. And from time to time we said it to each other…trying to perfect our impersonations…

Wait!….Wait!….Wait!….Wait!….

2 comments:

  1. I noticed that the MLK center here in Atlanta is a National Park site- kind of funny! And how nice- crossing signs that yell at your kids so you don't have to:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the succulent morsels of our lives . . . I, too, am 100% donkey, free, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete