Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Escape: What Have They Wrought?

One of the things that Charleston & Savannah had in common was an abundance of wrought iron.  I’ve never paid much attention to wrought iron before, but it became clear to me as we walked around both cities that it really is an art form. 

wrought iron white2

One of our favorite iron pieces was a light on an old mansion by the harbor that has seen better days… This light totally looks like something from Lord of the Rings!

IMG_2443

Charleston legend says that during the Revolutionary War, iron gates were melted down to provide horseshoes, and during the Civil War they contributed to the ironclad Merrimac. 

 

Savannah also had  wrought iron and they also had a lot of cast iron, which was able to be even more elaborate.

IMG_2564

IMG_2556IMG_2558

IMG_2562

We were told by one guide the the Savannah residents took their iron and buried it on Tybee Island to keep it from being used to make bullets, but I couldn’t find any corroboration of that story on the internet.

In case you’re thinking I have a lot more pictures from Charleston than Savannah, you’re right.  I only took purse cam on the trip with us. The night before we left I had this little thought that I really needed the battery charger.  But I couldn't find it and told myself it would be fine.  Well by the end of the 2nd day, when we'd walked around Charleston and taken pictures all day, the battery light had started flashing.  I turned it off that evening hoping that the next morning the battery would be in a little better shape.  I didn't find Savannah nearly as photograph-worthy, so I only pulled out the camera every now and then to take a shot.  In the morning the battery light wasn't flashing, but by the afternoon it was again.  I knew that there were a few pictures I was going to want to take on the last day, so I tried to conserve the battery, hoping again that a night of rest would help.  The next morning the battery light was still flashing, but I managed to take my pictures.  Towards the end the orange battery light was flashing, but I still was able to turn it off and then on again each time to take my picture.  After we got back home I took 3 pictures and then it totally died.  I was pretty impressed that I was able to nurse it along that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment