Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Vocabulary Lesson

I was chatting with Cindy Lynn on the phone yesterday, telling her about something that had happened that bothered me. 

I get it, she said, You don’t want to be incommoding anyone.

Uh, what?  I replied,  I didn’t say anything about any commode.

toilet1

She laughed and said,  I thought incommode meant something like inconvenience.

I think you have the wrong word, I told her.

And then, just because my computer was near I googled the word incommoded.

incommoded 
past participle, past tense of in·com·mode

Verb:     Inconvenience (someone).

 

Oops!

 

Well, as my grandfather, an old country farmer would say,

It’s a poor stock that doesn’t better itself.

Clearly Russ & I are good stock.

IMG_1103

 

com·mode  /kəˈmōd/

Noun:

  1. A piece of furniture containing a concealed chamber pot.
  2. A toilet.

The word commode comes from the French word for "convenient"…

 

Learn something every day, don’t you!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh- I love vocabulary lessons! That one is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty sure I didn't make it up!!! I'm still laughing about that.

    ReplyDelete