Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Feats, Treats & Eats

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I didn’t know how to keep track of recipes I like or want to try.  Two of my (wonderful) friends suggested that I used pinterest.  At first I was dubious—it took me a couple of days to catch a vision of what pinterest could do for me.  But now I’m hooked, completely.  Here are pictures of our Halloween, courtesy of pinterest.  (And Goodwill, but I’ll talk about that later.)  Several of the ideas came from the site itself, and several that I found in other places I pinned on my Halloween board so that I would remember the things I wanted to do.  Now I’m going to leave myself notes in the comments so I’ll know what worked well for next year, and what I need to do differently.  (Besides start cooking earlier!)  Without further ado, our Halloween fun!

I used to think I wasn’t a fun food person.  I’ve decided in the last few years that I’m not a creative food person.  But given the right set of circumstances, I’m totally up for trying someone else’s creative idea.  I brought fun Halloween food for our party today:

IMG_1668IMG_1666IMG_1667IMG_1669

Mummy dogs, Apple mouths, Ghost cupcakes, and candy corn cookies.

For dinner tonight we had these tasty treats—

IMG_1684IMG_1683

Pizza ball eyes, and Spaghetti & meatballs.

If our Halloween had a theme this year, it would probably have been eyes. 

IMG_9395

I saw directions for a really awesome Halloween Wreath and pinned that on pinterest too to be sure I wouldn’t forget.  The girls had a great time making the wreath while I worked on costumes the other day.

IMG_9400

Here is the finished product on our front door today, complete with glow in the dark paint on the letters!

IMG_1682

Not all of our fun was via pinterest, of course.  We had a great time carving our pumpkins last night.  Here they are out on the front porch tonight.

IMG_1690

The first two are Rachel’s, and the Owl pumpkin is Jenna’s.

IMG_1689

Jared’s, Jenna’s 2nd, and mine.

And finally, the costumes.  These were all their own ideas this year—the girls were vampires (Russ called them vampire princesses when they added their new skirts to the mix) and Jared was an escaped prisoner.  He had glow in the dark paint on his writing on his back, but I never did see him in the dark so I don’t know how well it worked.

IMG_9401

IMG_9403

All in all, a very fun Halloween!

6 comments:

  1. Shoot- I meant to make those candy corn cookies and only now remembered. Were they hard? Yours turned out great!

    I LOVE Jared's costume- it reminded me of something we would do at my camp growing up. Each year the junior counselors would "initiate" the new girls, by having the camp director tell a scary story about, say, some crazy clowns or escaped prisoners from the state prison nearby and then they would all burst out of the woods dressed up in scary outfits. They would call the girls up one by one and dump "muck" on their heads- mud from the river, shaving cream, oatmeal, etc. Anyway, tangent! Good costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "Les Mis" reference! So glad you're enjoying Pinterest. Isn't it addictive {and convenient}?! =D Fun new ways to celebrate. Are you planning to reuse the eye wreath or toss it? It looks like one of those great decor items that could go either way depending on how much storage space you have. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super Halloween! Love the treats, wreath and pumpkins. Oh, and love the kids, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - awesome all around!!! And I am loving that Jared's costume said Prisoner 24601. ;) Looks like you guys had a great Halloween! And I love the cyclops eye pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and the eye wreath turned out AWESOME! I am totally making one next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That eye wreath is amazing! I'm going to bookmark this for next year!

    ReplyDelete