Thursday, October 13, 2011

Utah 2011—St. Louis Arch

 

June 2011 576

A couple of years ago we stopped in St. Louis and went up into the arch.  I didn’t want to go in it again, but I did want to go see it and to go see the movie about Louis & Clark.

(Clarification: the official name of the arch is the Gateway Arch or the Gateway to the West and it was built as a monument to the westward expansion of the United States.)

We made our movie reservation for first thing in the morning and got up and got packed.  I loved driving down towards the arch, seeing it get closer and closer.

June 2011 508

It’s amazing how much bigger it gets as you’re walking towards it.  You really have to be quite a ways away to be able to get a picture with the entire arch in it. 

June 2011 565

And once you’re right up close, it’s HUGE!!

June 2011 519

I LOVED the movie about Lewis and Clark.  Wow.  What an amazing feat their journey was.  The kids were kind of sad we weren’t going up in the arch again, but we’d done that a few years ago and I didn’t want to take the time/money to do it again. 

June 2011 528

After the movie we walked down to the Mississippi River. 

June 2011 530

I loved all of the bridges alone the river.

June 2011 552

June 2011 534

When we’d left our hotel that morning it was cool and very overcast, but by the time we were done with the movie the clouds had started to clear.  There was just enough cloudiness left that combined with the sun and the arch (and with the fact that I’d left my sunglasses in the van) the light was blinding!  I just hoped my pictures would turn out, since I couldn’t see much in the camera.

June 2011 538

Before we left, the girls wanted me to take pictures that showed just how strong they are…

June 2011 555June 2011 557

I love visiting the arch.  I love driving towards it, seeing it get bigger and bigger and bigger.  I love walking around it and realizing how massive it is.  And when we’re done, it’s really hard for me to drive away without looking back…

June 2011 543

No comments:

Post a Comment