Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Homeschool Fun

I’m not very good at remembering to take pictures of our school day—much of what we do isn’t that interesting to see anyway. But recently the kids have had some fun and I’ve remembered to take pictures.

First, Russ got us to watch a National Geographic volcano special with him. Now I’m a total volcano lover (a lava lover, really) but this was the little kids’ first real exposure to volcanoes. They thought the movie was great, and as soon as it was done started planning how they could make their own volcanoes. Over the next couple of days they constructed their volcanoes out of wadded up paper and tape, then paper mache. At that point Jared seemed to run out of steam but the girls kept going and painted theirs, then added streaks of lava.

March 2011 259

Several days later we were ready for the explosion. As you can see, they also added a witness to the destruction.

March 2011 307

We were all pretty excited to see what would happen.

March 2011 309

It was totally awesome!

In the last week the girls have found a new fun game. They call it “Elegant Lunches,” and they’ve done it every day. Whatever they’re going to eat they serve in multiple courses, and they use our nicest glasses.

April 2011 146

Moments like these make me love homeschooling…

3 comments:

  1. Tell the girls I am SO impressed by their lava-streaked paint job!!! And I love the Elegant Lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute:). When I was little, and my parents had dinner parties, my mom would give me milk in a wine glass and call it "white wine". When I have a little more cabinet space someday soon, one of the first things I'll buy is some wine glasses (In fact when we go to the beach, if the house has them, I always use them- I got teased once for drinking gatorade out of a martini glass!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the elegant lunches! My mother started real herb tea parties and now we gotta do that one all the time.

    ReplyDelete