Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sky Mall Madness

I love flying by myself.  It's the perfect opportunity to veg a little, to take a nap,to read a good book, to ignore everyone around me, and to eat junk that I normally wouldn't allow myself.  What's not to like about that?  (Now I must say that I have never been held captive on an airplane for many hours with no functioning bathroom.  That could really change my feelings about flying!)

This time I flew through Houston.  I've never been to that airport before, and was perplexed by the architecture.  What on earth is the purpose of this...thing...?

Perhaps it's where they dock their blimps.  Or their spaceships...

I always choose a window seat when I fly, because I love looking out of the window and it's the only way I stand any chance of sleeping.  I thought this view of the the freeway was great.



While on the plane I took a few minutes to peruse the sky mall magazine.  I wanted to share with you a number of things that are available through this fine establishment.  I'd hate for you to miss out on any of them.

First of all, for the frequent traveler:

In case you can't tell exactly what this is--no, it's not a travel pillow.  It's a travel pillowcase!  So that everywhere you go you can put your special travel pillowcase on your pillow.  Hello?!?  Would you really pay $12.99 plus shipping for a pillowcase to tote around the country???

Next, to treat your next migraine--a massage for your eyeballs.  Any volunteers??


 I'm sure that everyone in the D2 bookclub will be happy to know that you can order a snuggie from SkyMall. 


The next toy is a computer mouse for car lovers.  Or small children, one or the other...


Next up were the products for pet lovers.  First up, suggestions for apartment dwellers.


Please notice that this comes complete with a scented fire hydrant to attract your dog's attention!

For people who don't have a patio for the self rinsing grass patch for their dog, there's always an indoor patch.


Who knew these things existed??

It gets even better for cat owners.


Please, if anyone trains their cat like this, invite me to see it!!

And if you can't train your cat to sit on the potty, you can have a camouflaged litter box.


One last pet product, or perhaps an anti-pet product.  I'm just saying that there are times when this would have come in very handy.


Just a few more products for you tonight.  First, a faux video security camera.  Comes complete with a blinking light so it looks like it's recording!


Next, a DNA profile for the person who already has everything else.  After all--don't we want to know who we might be related to??


and....just in case it's not enough to know your own DNA,

You can find out your dog's genealogy as well!

After I was done with the sky mall magazine I napped, ate licorice, and read about Sir Edmund Hillary.  (The first man to summit Mt. Everest.  But you knew that, didn't you?!?)

And then my trip was over.  Russ picked me up at the airport and whisked me home, where I was greeted by a beautiful full moon and a houseful of sleeping children.

I had a fabulous trip.  And it's so good to be home...

4 comments:

  1. I guess they feel they need a captive audience for those types of products. Too funny -- esp that you took pics of all those ads to share with us! =D I've enjoyed reading about your trip. It sounds like another successful getaway... minus some extra sickness this time? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - I almost blogged about SkyMall last time I flew, too! I love looking at SkyMall. Mahon laughs at me every time.

    Funny story about the eyeball massager - on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me they did a section on "what weird things can you find in SkyMall magazine." One of the options was "an eyeball massager", which turned out to be the wrong answer. Then a week or two later on another show they came on and said, "We need to make a correction... in our episode about SkyMall magazine we used the example of an eyeball massager as a product that WASN'T in SkyMall... well, one of our listeners called in to point out that they do, in fact, have an eyeball massager available!"

    Oh, and we totally had fake security cameras like that installed in Kensington (they actually installed them while I was living there). It was so dumb - EVERYONE knew that they were not real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I always try for a window seat and what is the deal with no pillows or blankets anymore? I love skymall mag soo much I take it with me most times. I would like to point out that the afore mentioned snuggie is a SLANKET!

    Having had many more than my share of migraines the eyeball massager actually looks like it would be worth trying out.

    Not having a dog or cat I was unprepared for the sheer volume of indoor pet elimination products. Letterman has been missing a huge comedy avenue. There are so many other fabulous must have products.

    So you are still reading about Mt Everest? Was Sir Edmund Hillary any more sane than the rest of the crazies that climb the mountain? I still dont see what about that mountain says to them "climb me."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Momster--I think the pillows and blankets went out with the swine flu. I've started traveling with a little pillow (wearing a pillowcase I already owned...) and I actually like that better. And I always wear some kind of jacket because I know I'll probably be cold.

    The Sir Edmund Hillary book was really interesting--definitely what mountain climbing *should* be. But it makes me say that he's the one (along with Tenzing Norgay) who gets the credit for summitting--it was such a group effort...

    ReplyDelete