Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Gift of Analogy

Several weeks ago I sat in church in Utah, listening to the teacher list things around us that can help us to truly "always remember" the Savior.  Water, bread, lambs, etc.  (I guess there are only lambs if you live in a place like Cache Valley!)

I thought about this idea, wondering if I really would be able to train my brain to react in that way to all of the familiar objects in daily life that are also symbols of the Savior.  I have always wished that I could do a better job of "always remembering," and this idea was interesting to me.

As I was contemplating, it occurred to me that while I don't think of Jesus every time I cut a loaf of bread or drive past a river, I do actually think of him more than I realize.

Do you know why?

It's because my brain can make a gospel analogy out of almost anything.  (I say "almost" just to be on the safe side...)  And my brain does it all of the time.  Probably at least several times every day.  I have thought it an odd thing, and and interesting thing.  But I've never considered that it really might be a blessing--that in so many little ways throughout the day, my mind and heart are pointed again towards our Heavenly Father, his Son, and their plan.

Is there a spiritual gift of analogies?!?

9 comments:

  1. What I want to know is- can you make one out of a caterpillar? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if I can't, I know that Brigham can!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, but I do the same thing! Sometimes I'll have a train of thought and go "Wow, I could share that in a sacrament mtg talk" and then realize no, it's about something totally strange! But my brain works that way too. I never thought of it being a spiritual gift.

    What about the caterpillars...???

    ReplyDelete
  4. A caterpillar is destined to be a butterfly just as Jesus was preordained to be the Christ.

    or how about

    The lowly imperfect caterpillar learned about the plan of happiness and his divine potential to become a beautiful butterfly.

    or maybe

    Jesus created the world, everything including caterpillars.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Emily, you beat me to it! I was totally going to blog about caterpillar analogies this morning! Maybe I still will...I had a few that were different. But yours are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy Lynn--I was being a little bit facetious when I said that, but only a little. What is a spiritual gift--what is it's purpose? Isn't it to edify and to bring us closer to Christ? I think I would have to say that seeing the world through the lens of "what does this teach me about God" certainly seems like it would qualify...

    ReplyDelete
  7. CL- can't wait to read your post! We were at the park the other day and Briggie came up and told me his caterpillar was amazing because stuff kept happening to it and it kept coming back to life. I said maybe he should name it tough guy, and he said- no, I'm going to name it Jesus. I think I'll never look at caterpillars the same way again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure about it being a spiritual gift, but this ability share does make for an interesting parlor game -- like "Night at the Improv" but you, know, less (more?) sacrilegious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WE. This ability WE share. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete