Sunday, November 23, 2014

Grandma’s Timing

One of my first thoughts when Russ’s mom died was a little dismay about the timing.  She died on the 30th of October and there were two big problems with this.  First that the kids and I were planning to record a bunch of interviews with Grandma later in the month, which she obviously was no longer around for.  And second, since we were already planning to drive to Utah for Thanksgiving that meant that we would be driving it twice in 4 weeks.  Ouch.

But it turned out that there was also some really terrific things about the timing, things I will always be grateful to Grandma for/about.

The girls marched with the high school marching band this year, and their last game was Halloween night.  Their last competition was all day on November 1st.  We drove to Utah for the funeral on the 2nd, so they didn’t have to miss the end of the season.

IMG_20141031_200938IMG_2437

Our first fall in Oregon Russ & I took a drive into the Columbia River Gorge hoping to see some fall color.  It was a beautiful day and we had a great time but we didn’t see anything that looked like fall.  When we drove through the Gorge on our way to Utah for the funeral it was really gorgeous.  I’d thought I would try to go back to sleep as soon as possible but the colors were so pretty that I just sat and watched and tried to take pictures until we were through the gorge.

IMG_2443

IMG_2445IMG_2457IMG_2462IMG_2470IMG_2498

In the first day or two that we were in Utah Jason mentioned that he had 2 tickets for his men’s chorus concert that Saturday.  He had told me that he’d have to miss a concert because it was on the day of the funeral, but it had never occurred to me that there would be another performance the next night.  It wasn’t super convenient, but I’ve never had the chance to go to one of Jason’s concerts and this is going to be his last semester in the men’s chorus.  I decided then and there that I was going to drive down to Provo for the concert.  I ended up taking Jenna with me and we totally loved it.  I’ve listened to the concerts every time on the BYU web page, but being there was amazing. Throughout the entire concert I was thinking that it was so amazing to be able to be there and soak it all in.

  Actually, Grandma, your timing was impeccable.                                           

IMG_2609
IMG_2594IMG_2604IMG_2607IMG_2615

No comments:

Post a Comment