Friday, September 7, 2012

The Balcony Garden Report

I was curious when we got back from North Carolina to see how my balcony garden would be doing.  I was a little worried that things wouldn’t have been watered well enough while we were gone, but I was happy to see that everything was alive and even thriving.  Here was the view from the outside,

DSC_0619

and from the inside.

garden

I must say that the flowers aren’t nearly as satisfying when I don’t see them from the sink all day long every day—that’s something that I’m looking forward to when we’re in a house again. 

I have 4 vegetable plants on the balcony.  One grape tomato that you see up there on the left (planted early June) that is growing well.  The other grape tomato that I didn’t even plant until July 4th in the hanging soda bottle planter.  It doesn’t really have a ton of foliage, but it’s grown really well for having been planted so late.  I think that the roots must get warmer in the day.  It has to be watered every day, but I think it’s definitely been a success.  Today I had tomatoes on my lunch salad from my two little plants and they were delicious.  Next year hopefully I’ll have lots more.

DSC_0607DSC_0619

My other two veggies are squash.  Last year I ordered some seeds that were from Europe.  This one squash plant, I believe an Italian one, really languished all summer and hardly grew at all.  Then as soon as things cooled down it grew like crazy.  I decided to try that plant out here in the short cool Oregon season.  I don’t have any little zucchinis on it yet, but the plant has grown pretty well.  (Russ points out that it’s grown really well considering it rarely has light shining on the pot it’s growing in.)

DSC_0620

The last squash plant was one I bought at the farmers market in July sometime.  It was only a dollar and I figured it was worth a try.  It has a tiny baby squash on it now, so hopefully it will produce at least one we can eat.

DSC_0613

Hopefully before next summer I can learn the tricks that people use to extend this super short growing season, and thank goodness I can buy whatever I can’t grow at the awesome farmers market!

No comments:

Post a Comment