Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Our First Visitors!

My cousins Dav & Megan went on a camping trip last week up in Washington State.  Every day they posted on their blogs (here and here) about the fun they were having and every day I commented on their blogs and begged them to come and stay with me before they headed back to their respective homes.  Yesterday morning they texted and said that they were on their way…and would be here in 40 minutes!

I was so excited to see them.  Our first Oregon visitors!  (Ok, Dav’s older sister came and stayed at our apartment when her son was getting married in August but it was while we were at the beach in North Carolina so it wasn’t exactly a visit.)  We had such fun having Dav and Megan here.

DSC_0827

First we went to the grocery store and then we went for a walk to see our almost-house.  They were especially impressed by the water feature in the front yard and alternately suggested that we either stock it with koi to draw herons to our house, or just use it as a bathtub.  We picked wild blackberries on our way back to the apartment, and when we got back I made a yummy peach/nectarine/blueberry/blackberry pie.  (With a store bought crust instead of the recipe that calls for 2.5 sticks of butter.) And because we have so many peaches right now, I also made peach dumplings

Then I made muchacas for dinner, and just because it looked delish in the store, corn on the cob.  Megan made fabulous fresh salsa to top everything off.  It was a serious feast and by the end of the evening I felt like I should probably fast for the next day or three to compensate.

DSC_0828DSC_0829DSC_0830DSC_0831

This morning we started our day with grits and eggs for breakfast, followed by pie and dumplings…just because we could.

 DSC_0832

As soon as breakfast was over they left to drive back to Utah and I got to work canning peaches.  I will miss their quick witted humor--what a treat to have them here!

DSC_0833

Quotes of the morning: 

“Carpe the Dumpling!”

“Remember who you are.  And if you can’t be good, blog about it!”

3 comments:

  1. I need that peach dumpling recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yum, yum!!! And I am thinking that someday, whether we want them to or not, we WILL find your grandchild using the water feature as a bathtub... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no you didn't use peaches in the pioneer woman recipe! I am going to have to go buy some today and try that!

    P.S.- Are the peaches there okay this year? The ones in GA were mealy and terrible, so I've been afraid to try them here...

    ReplyDelete