Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Field Trip #2

Once we got back from our extended vacation and got ready for school to start and started school, I made a new resolution: we must enjoy this glorious weather while we can.  (Which means while it lasts.) 

Our primary method of enjoyment is going to be a field trip day each week until the good weather ends.

When I announced our plan for last Wednesday, it was met with moanings and groanings of all sorts.  No one wanted to go.  Everyone was tired of being in the car.  Couldn’t I go by myself???

But I persisted.  And I insisted.  In they went, and away we drove.

We stopped first to go to the bathroom.

At Multnomah Falls.

DSC_1106

Now Multnomah Falls is the tallest waterfall in Oregon and as such is pretty famous.  Busloads of people speaking all sorts of different languages arrives all day long to look at the beautiful waterfall.

But not us, we were just there for the facilities.

I was a little concerned about the weather, since at noon it was still only about 60 degrees and breezy.  I had been watching the forecast all week and it had promised a beautiful day, but I was worried.   At Multnomah I was a bit afraid the girls would freeze to death, when it was discovered that both of them had come away without jackets.  (Oregon rule #1: always bring a jacket.)

After we left Multnomah the sky began to clear.

 DSC_1126

It was a very interesting combination of weather patterns in just a small area—sun, haze, clouds, we had it all. 

DSC_1300

Fortunately for the jacketless girls it warmed up a few degrees by the time we got to our destination, Horsetail Falls.

The main waterfall is right beside the road,

DSC_1140

but my plan was never to stop there. 

DSC_1306

Instead we started hiking to see how many more waterfalls we could see in the time we had available.

DSC_1146

DSC_1152

By this point in the journey my previous cranky companions had disappeared and three delightful children had appeared in their places—running ahead, singing songs together, telling riddles, they had a great time.

DSC_1209

DSC_1148

DSC_1196

The second waterfall, Ponytail Falls, was unsual.  Over time the water has eaten away at the earth behind the falls and now you can hike through a small cavern behind the waterfall.

DSC_1159

If you’ve ever wondered what the world looks like from behind a waterfall, here you go.

DSC_1174

DSC_1173

Very lovely, actually.

DSC_1183

We could see signs of fall all around us.

DSC_1217DSC_1213DSC_1244DSC_1269

Every now and then (but not very often) there would be a break in the trees along the trail and we would see the most beautiful views.

DSC_1231

Everything everywhere was covered in moss.

DSC_1247DSC_1271DSC_1274DSC_1275

Our last stop before we ran out of time and had to turn back was in a gorge that was so narrow in some places you probably could have touched both walls.  We could see those places from where we were, but there was no way to get there from where we were.

DSC_1253DSC_1256

There was a small waterfall above us,

DSC_1258

with a sort of scary footbridge near it.

DSC_1254DSC_1261

After we passed the footbridge I decided that we were out of time, so we turned around and headed back down.

  DSC_1299DSC_1307

On our way we decided to see if we could count the rings on a fallen tree.  We got to 60 before we gave up.

DSC_1279

Our trip back home was uneventful.  Once again I enjoyed the views along the way.

DSC_1346DSC_1343

Once again we were entertained by driving through the tunnel and seeing the houses & apartments just above.  We can’t help asking—do they hear all of the traffic?  Do they feel it at all?  Will we ever be so used to driving under houses that it’s boring to us??

DSC_1369

Remember those cranky kids, the ones who hadn’t wanted to go?  Well those same kids can’t wait to go back.  They think we need to take Russ & Josh back with us because we had such an awesome time.  Well…the truth is, we probably won’t go back to that exact place, but that will be because there are so many other amazing places here we still haven’t seen.

4 comments:

  1. Okay - one way or another, the baby and I have got to come out next summer or fall to explore Oregon with you guys!!! (and my AWESOME CHRISTMAS CAMERA!) It looks so gorgeous. Oh, and I've noticed here that noon is never the hottest part of the day. Typically right now it's still cool until after noon, and then it heats up and the high is actually in the evening - like 5 or 6. It's very odd.

    Oh... and it took me 2 years in Idaho to learn the "always bring a jacket" rule! I highly recommend you and the girls going to the thrift store and buying some cute cardigans. Trust me... they will now be a fashion staple! Every now and then I look in disgust at the number of jackets I own, until I remember that I wear one almost EVERY SINGLE DAY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am learning that rule too! We looked like total east coast nerds on the beach the other day with our kids in bathing suits...it was warm at our house, but not at the beach. I need to get some "car jackets" that stay in the car all the time.

    Those pictures are amazing- we are coming SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit I am a little jealous. Oh so pretty. I just LOVE the west coast. Yes, it is a little temperamental but I am used to that. Thanks for sharing your day trip. I can live through you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I REALLY miss Oregon. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete