Wednesday, September 5, 2012

domesticity

My adventures in the Land of Fresh Produce continue. 

On Saturday Russ & I walked to the downtown Farmer’s Market.  At first I was disappointed that none of the kids wanted to go, but once I found myself walking through the cool woods hand in hand with my sweetheart all alone, I repented of my disappointment.  We had a lovely walk and perusal of the goods at the market, and after an hour or so Josh came to pick us up with our bags full of fresh produce.  Saturday’s finds included yellow plums (so sweet, but still with a tart skin which I’m somehow sure is full of vitamins) and things called donut peaches & donut nectarines.  Plus corn on the cob to die for and a necessary assortment of zucchini and peppers.

DSC_0690

Over the weekend we also picked wild blackberries for the last time.  I find myself having a harder time happily eating as I pick, since I’m always worried about the darned worms now!  We did pick enough to make a delicious cobbler earlier in the week,

DSC_0683

and some more blackberry muffins today.  I think we’ve decided that those along with fresh milkshakes are our favorite ways to use the blackberries.  (After washing the berries very well and removing all nearly microscopic worms!)

We also bought a case of peaches & a case of pears over the weekend and today I spent my morning cutting peaches for freezing and making the best ones into this fresh peach pie.  It turned out perfectly, and since I made it in a 10” pie plate instead of a small one, there will be plenty for breakfast too!

DSC_0813

Our apartment kitchen isn’t big enough for any real canning, so I’ve arranged to borrow the kitchen of a friend who is going to be out of town for the next week.  I’m hoping to can peaches and pears too, wish me luck.  And stamina!! 

1 comment:

  1. So jealous of your Farmer's Market!! Love the pictures. It IS a beautiful place...just a bit too far away :)

    ReplyDelete