Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I’m pretty sure I’ve eaten a worm in the last week

DSC_0149

It’s those darned wild blackberries.  They’re everywhere.  In my fridge, just calling to me as I walk by.  Growing along the street where I walk.  I can’t ever resist grabbing a few…or twenty.  After all, I tell myself, lots of antioxidants.  Lots of vitamins.

Yesterday I pulled the container of blackberries out of the fridge and washed a few to put in my greek yogurt.  I rinsed them off, picked off the bits of stems & leaves, and dropped them in the colander to dry a little.  When I looked back to see if they were ready to go in my yogurt, I thought that I had missed a bit of stem.  I picked it off.

Except it wasn’t a bit of stem.

It was a tiny worm.

 

EEEWWW!

 

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY OF THESE BERRIES I HAVE EATEN, UNWASHED AND UNEXAMINED, IN THE LAST WEEK???

That is so nasty.

 

But it’s not like I can stop eating them, you know?

It’s probably a good thing the season is over soon….and for now I’ll just keep repeating in my head my new mantra

"what I don’t know I’ve eaten can’t hurt me…"

2 comments:

  1. A few years ago Mahon & I picked raspberries at Vic & Kathy's. I ate and ate and ate while we picked and they were sooooooo good.

    Then we got home. And the next day (after they had been in the fridge!) I noticed...what looked like little raspberry seeds. Except they were black. And ALIVE. Yes, turns out raspberries are infested with this teeny tiny black bugs!!!!!!! (We have even found some on store-bought raspberries!) I was so freaked out. Literally, it's taken me 2 or 3 years to be able to eat raspberries again... and every time I do I try not to look too closely and recite a very similar mantra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know- I'd rather eat a few worms than a bunch of man-made chemicals....I think. I just found a blackberry patch on my run this morning- but they're still red...I guess I have some new seasons to get used to.

    ReplyDelete