Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Starry Starry Night (with addendum)

I wear my glasses in the hot tub at night so that I can see the stars.  I lay back in the water and watch the sky, enjoying the nighttime beauty and (always) hoping that I’ll see a shooting star.  A few nights ago when we got into the hot tub we could see only a few stars in the sky, but as we sat and talked more and more appeared.  We were fortunate enough to see quite  a few shooting stars (one very bright), and by the time we were tired and ready for bed the sky was filled with stars. 

StarryDay_02

As I got ready for bed I thought about what a good metaphor this is for Heavenly Father’s plan.  When we first look at it, we can see only the brightest points.  Sometimes if we look away and then look back our eyes are hardly able to see anything, and it takes a while for our (spiritual) eyes to readjust.  But if we keep looking, if we focus and concentrate, then we see more and more and more-- until finally we are truly able to see the immense vastness of His plan in all it’s beauty.

 

***I love Lindsay’s comment that if you are surrounded by too much interfering light you can’t see the stars anymore.  This is so true in our spiritual lives as well—there are many forms of interference that keep us from being able to see Heavenly Father’s plan.  Sometimes we’re around a lot of interference and we can’t see it at all, and sometimes we’re around just a little bit of interference that keeps us from being able to see the immensity and depth of the plan.  When I read her comment my first thought was “yeah, this is why I go to the beach, so that I can see the stars better.”  But then I realized that this is a true principle—that we simply must find places and times in our lives when we are not affected by ‘interfering light’ so that we are able to see more clearly.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I've thought a similar thing before, but I like your spin on it. And isn't it interesting that if you are surrounded by too much interfering light, you can't see the stars anymore?

    ReplyDelete