Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Christian Music



When I was a teenager I was on a committee that had something to do with music at church dances. There was just beginning to be some concern about inappropriate lyrics in pop music, and we were discussing alternatives. I tentatively mentioned that perhaps we could use some Christian music at our dances. Now I’m pretty sure I had never actually heard any Christian music; I just thought that it might be appropriate for our dances.

The adult in charge nixed that idea right away. She said that we couldn’t take the risk of Christian music introducing incorrect doctrine. And so we never did use any. And I never did listen to any.


Josh likes to listen to the radio when we’re in the car. When I get in alone and don’t like the song that is playing on his radio station (or the ads) I switch to other stations. One of the stations on my presets is a Christian station. I am continually impressed with the music that this station plays. Not only does it not teach my children immorality, it reminds me of gospel truths in new ways that touch my heart.

Any doctrinal differences I have heard have been so inconsequential that I have not even noticed them.

I love Christian music.

Here’s a beautiful song that my sister just played for me…



What if trials in this life are mercies in disguise...

4 comments:

  1. Cindy - this was such a perfect way to start my day. The boys and I snuggled up on the couch and watched it three times in a row. Now I need to figure out what, exactly, the mercy is in all of this. :) Thanks.

    And, I have the christian station programed in on my presets, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a closet Christian station fan too:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard "City on our knees" by Toby Mac? When I lived in St. Paul, the Christian radio station was the most popular, and this song always made me think of the plan of salvation from beginning to end. I love Christian radio stations!

    ReplyDelete