Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Picture That Exists Only in My Heart

My bathroom counter is cleaned off now, most of the laundry is done, and the kitchen is relatively clean.  It’s amazing how much better that feels…Over the next few days I hope to be posting pictures from our last few days with Jason.  But today I’m going to write about the picture I didn’t take.

 

On Sunday evening we met with President Milton at the church so that Jason could be set apart as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  President Milton was wonderful—he had a list of scriptures that he wanted us to read, and he had each of the little kids read some of the verses so that it would be easier for them to pay attention.  The scriptures were just what we needed to hear; verses about being called to labor as a missionary, about missionary work being the Lord’s work, and scriptures about the importance of unity in order to invite the spirit.  I think when we were done reading the different verses we all felt touched by the spirit about how important this work is to our Heavenly Father.

And then President Milton invited Jason to come up and sit on a chair in the front of our group.  He invited Russ to come and help with the ordinance, and Jason also invited Ken and Mahon to stand in the circle.  They put their hands on Jason’s head and President Milton set him apart as a missionary.

 

Normally when a prayer or ordinance like that starts, I immediately and instinctively go into prayer mode; head bowed, eyes closed, arms folded.  But this time I didn’t.  I made a conscious decision to look at what was happening, wanting a visual image for my mind and heart to go along with the memory of the words I was about to hear.

 

What I saw was beautiful.  Through the space between Russ and Mahon I could see Jason perfectly, sitting with his eyes closed and their hands on his head. President Milton first set him apart as a missionary and then gave him a beautiful blessing of strength, peace, and wisdom.  I sat and watched for several moments, realizing that this was the culmination of much of what we have worked and prayed towards for all of Jason’s life.  I watched my son’s face, proud of the boy he has been and excited about the man he will start to become. 

 

And then, picture safely tucked away in my heart, I too closed my eyes and bowed my head. 

August 2011 188 Elder Jason David Ray

.

3 comments:

  1. Tears. The stinging kind. In my eyes. I love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all so bittersweet. Lovely...but, makes you catch your breath sometimes! Can't wait for your first email! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you doing to me girlfriend? I still have 3 months until I send my son off and you have me bawling like a baby now! We went to the temple yesterday. My cup runneth over.

    Two years is a long time to hold that picture in your heart.

    Congratulations. Good work mom!

    ReplyDelete