Sunday, August 14, 2011

Chasing the Greased Pig: Date Night

 

A few days ago I was talking to a friend about marriage.  My friend made the comment that marriage is sometimes hard work, and that marriages need time and attention to make sure that they stay strong.

The next day I happened across an article called “Love is Like a Greased Pig.”  The author said,

“True love doesn’t follow you like a little puppy that is constantly there. It’s actually more like a greased pig! You have to chase after it and pursue it. You have to run it down and tackle it and when it gets away, you go after it one more time. You may finally get a hold of it for a while, but then the little rascal can slip away and you have to chase it down again.”

I loved this.  It was exactly what my friend and I were talking about.  Sometimes marriage (which for my purposes also means love) goes along without a hitch.  Sometimes every conversation and every hug is like a magic moment.  But just as often marriage slips between the cracks, we don’t manage to have any conversations, and we begin to feel distant from each other.

Those are the greased pig moments.  And I LOVE the image of chasing the greased pig.  Because that’s how determined I want to be to keep love alive in my marriage.  And Russ loves the image.  Because he knows he’s the greased pig. 
Winking smile

Friday night we went on a much needed date—this summer has been full of amazing experiences, but not much bonding time for the two of us.  So we started the evening by using a groupon to a local Indian restaurant.  Yum, yum, thank you to Amy for telling us what to order! 

We ended the evening by watching the new movie, “The Help.”  I loved it.  We loved it.  You’re not going to believe I’m saying this, but I liked this better than Harry Potter 7B.  It was more emotionally satisfying than I cold have believed…

 

And the greased pig is resting happily in his pen. 

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever actually written this before, but ....LOL!!! I'll always remember this when we hit one of those ruts and hopefully smile:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. In doing some pre-reading for education week, I came across this quote. Not that I don't like the greased pig.....

    “Anyone who imagines bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he’s been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey…delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts: interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.” – Quoted by President Gordon B. Hinckley

    And by the way - I loved that movie too!!!

    ReplyDelete