Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hot Stuff

My wonderful brother and his wife were kind enough to let me use their cars while I was in Utah for Education week.  Because I stayed at a different house each night (lots of people to love!) I loaded my suitcase every morning into the back of Jeff’s jeep and drove up to campus.  Every evening when I came back to the jeep it was roasting hot inside from sitting in the direct sun all day.  (I think the few shaded parking spots went really early!)  And every evening it was an adventure to see what the heat had done to my stuff.

The first day I had with me both grapes and an apple I’d brought from home to snack on.  I decided that I would just take the grapes on campus with me and leave the apple for a snack for the next day.  Unfortunately when I took it in from the car that night it was kind of soft and mushy feeling from it’s long day in the sun.  I decided that maybe if I put it in the fridge over night it would be fine by morning and I’d be able to take it with me to campus.

In the morning when I got it out of the fridge it was a little shriveled, and when I cut it open it was all brown inside.  Nasty!

I have a little container of vaseline in my traveling toiletries bag.  I don’t usually need vaseline, but it’s in there just in case. 

Well I have been reminded once again that when it gets hot vaseline melts.  All over makeup, for instance.  And when it cools back down it just congeals wherever it is, including upside down in it’s little container.  After the first day the now-right-side-up vaseline got it’s own ziploc bag.

By far the oddest thing I experienced was getting to brush my teeth with really warm toothpaste every night.  Then I would climb into my heated pajamas.   Talk about disconcerting…

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, I love you for giving importance to little observations like these! I guess that's why kids love you so much- I can just hear Brigham rambling on about upside down vaseline:).

    ReplyDelete