Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cindy Lynn and the Blue Pool

The other day I was looking for a picture of me with Cindy Lynn for a project I'm working on.  I knew that we had at least one picture together on our trip to Maui in 2006, so I hooked up my new and wonderful hard drive (that now contains all of my precious digital pictures!!) and searched through the pictures from that trip.  We loved Maui so much, and it was wonderful to look at the beautiful pictures again.

Cindy Lynn and I had a wonderful adventure/hike on our trip together.  I had assumed that Russ and I would have the same experience, but when we went last year the guide book no longer included information about this hike.  Instead it said that because of some property disputes it was no longer safe for tourists to be in this area.

Our adventure started on the road to Hana.  (More about the road to Hana on a future "catching up" post.)  We wanted to hike to Blue Pools, a waterfall that was right at the edge of the island.  First we drove for a long time down a narrow country road.  The high point of the road (or perhaps the low point?) was crossing a small stream.  No bridge--we just drove through it.  There were poles on either side of the stream that were painted red and white.  A sign on top of the pole read "If water is up to the red line do not drive across the stream."  That was exciting!

It was also amazing to see the "backyard" of one of the homes along the road.

(The first picture was taken on our way down the road, the second after our hike adventure. 
Notice how much more water is coming from the waterfall just a few hours later.)

After driving for several more miles we saw a sign advertising parking in a family's yard for $2.  We parked the our rental car (a lovely convertible--which was where our enthusiasm with convertibles started) and started walking.  We knew that we needed to walk toward the ocean and then cross a river.  Like I said, this was an Adventure!

When we got to the end of the road we figured it was time to go across the river.  


Once we were across the river we climbed over big stones



until we rounded the corner and saw this.


It was spectacular.  Really and truly amazing.  A tall and beautiful waterfall falling into a lovely pool, almost completely enclosed by high cliffs around it.


The water from the pool overflowed and ran out through and over the large rocks into the pounding surf.  I could see why the Hawaiians would think this a sacred spot.


Cindy Lynn and I sat and enjoyed the magic of this place until it was time to leave.  (We wanted all of the river crossing, hiking, and stream-driving to be done while it was still fully daylight!)

 I'm so glad that Cindy Lynn and I had the opportunity to experience this adventure together, and that we'll always have the memory of this magic place.

3 comments:

  1. I think one day we should do girl's week out in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... now you are making me want to go back sooo bad!!!!! Oh, and you forgot to mention how COLD all that water was. Cold river, cold pool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andra--absolutely! One year when we can spend about $1500 each on girls week, instead of $150 each!

    CL--I know! I want to go back too. And I'd forgotten how cold the river was, though I remember very clearly how cold that other waterfall's pool was...

    ReplyDelete