Saturday, December 26, 2009

Post-Christmas Thoughts

I had a realization this morning. Another moment when I thought "duh, why did it take me so long to figure this out???" (This happens frequently in my world.)

I sat at the kitchen table with Russ and some of the kids playing a new game, listening to Christmas music in the background, and laughing and talking together. I thought, "this is what I have been wanting. This feeling of peace, and love, and laughter, and togetherness." And then I realized that that moment was incompatible (for the most part) with the preparations for Christmas. They are as different as can be.

So we have two options.

Option #1: Finish all of the Christmas preparations earlier. (hah. I'm not sure that's possible.)
Option #2: Make sure Russ can take off the days after Christmas, so that we can indulge in post-Christmas euphoria like this morning.

I feel a lot better now that I realize that we didn't totally miss out on wonderful family time — we just postponed it.

-------

We were listening to the Relient K Christmas cd this morning while we played our game. And we all agreed that their original song, "I Celebrate the Day" is beautifully tender and needs to be listened to often. I just installed a playlist so that you can hear it, but to get the full effect you need to listen to the Silent Night/Away in a Manger song that's right before it. I also noticed that it's available for download for FREE at Amazon right now. (Although if you enjoy their sound $5 is a great price for a whole Christmas cd!) Anyway, you can see it/download it here.

~~~
And the first time
That You opened Your eyes did You realize that You would be my Savior?
And the first breath that left Your lips
Did You know that it would change this world forever?

And I, I celebrate the day
That You were born to die
So I could one day pray for You to save my life...

1 comment:

  1. We were so lucky to have my dad home for the days between Christmas and New Year almost every year. Those are some of my favorite holiday memories -- playing badminton in the backyard on a snowless New Year's Eve; the card table pretty much constantly up as we put together box after box of jigsaw puzzle; feasting on leftovers of Christmas dinner and holiday goodies. Slow-paced time together is the best way to celebrate! =)

    ReplyDelete