Friday, December 4, 2009

Does Everything Have a Price?


It's no secret to anyone who's ever been to the grocery store with me that I enjoy reading the magazines at the checkout. Russ has even been known to have me paged if he's done checking out and I'm still engrossed in some article.

Not that I'm reading the "I had a lovechild with an alien" magazines — I like the ones that tell what celebrities are doing. I'm always curious to see what wacko thing Brittany Spears has done this time, or which new couple was "meant for each other" (for the next few weeks, anyway) or find out if Brangelina are really having another set of twins. (Are they insane? Oh wait, no, they have 3 nannies!)

Recently I read that Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes' third anniversary was coming. I was happy for them, until I read further and found out exactly what this meant. It meant that their "marriage contract" was up for renewal. Katie (assisted by her lawyer father), was holding out for more. She has had a clothing budget of $600,000/year, but now she wants $2,000,000/year. (Yes, you read that right. That's 2 million dollars, folks!) Katie received a 3 million dollar bonus when she gave birth to Suri, and Tom is prepared to pay between $5.5 million and $7.5 million for a sibling for Suri. Katie, however, is holding out for at least $11 million, and an assurance of $5.5 million if she tries to conceive but fails.

Huh?

This morning my google news feed had an article about Tiger Woods. Like the rest of the country, I was curious to hear the truth about his early morning accident last week, and saddened to learn more about the situation.

I was not expecting what came next. Apparently Tiger Woods is offering his wife $5 million dollars to stay with him and not leave now with their two young children. Additionally, he is offering $55 million if she stays for two more years, and $80 million if she stays for 7 more years.

Huh??

When I met Russ he had an old beater car and four bucks in his wallet, and I had nothing. We decided to marry because we were crazy about each other. So we combined my nothing and his might-as-well-have-been nothing and promised to love and care for each other forever.

It's worked well for us. Twenty-two years later we have a little bit more than the nothing we started out with, but not enough that I could "renegotiate our marriage contract."

But why on earth would I? This is a marriage, for heaven's sake. Not a business deal!

It seems like these rich celebrities have so much money that they have lost sight of the fact that you can't buy love. Maybe we are really the lucky ones. Because we don't have much we have to learn the truth —

Love comes from our hearts, not our wallets.



--------
PS — So what do you think the going rate on having triplets would be???

5 comments:

  1. I was going to say- too bad you DIDN'T have a contract like Katie's- you would have been set! That is totally baffling to me....but the Tiger Woods thing I can understand: She probably entered the marriage believing that he would always be faithful to her, so she may not have worried about her financial security. Now that he's shown he's not worthy of her trust, why shouldn't she secure her and her children's financial future just to be safe? That way, they can work on rebuilding their marriage, but she can know that if he blows it again, she can salvage her dignity and leave him without disrupting her kids lives too much. Honestly, I would have done the same thing. Only we were like you guys only worse- Eric had nothing and I had student loans half the size of a mortgage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND angelina has a plastic surgeon! I think that would help. I gotta say, those marriages are so far afield that they don't even resemble marriage anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the one about Katie and Tom. Sick. That was the only word I could think. It IS a business venture for them, that starts out with some just enough love/lust to get it off the ground. I think we all have our "negotiations" but those are what help us work better together and get and receive what we feel we need in a relationship. It these cases, all they are batting around is money, and that leaves many many voids unfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is seriously insane. Who knew that wife-and-motherhood could be such a lucrative business!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suddenly I feel grossly underpaid.

    And yet incredibly blessed.

    ReplyDelete