Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Grinch Who Stole My Kids' Christmas

Our drive last night to the kids' art show was miserable. I was tired and overwhelmed. My kids were tired and overstimulated. Much kicking of the back of my seat occurred, as well as loud animated chatter that made me think they need to start sitting in the back row of the van again.

But the real kicker was the complaining. From the first decorated house we passed until we arrived at the art show, the questions and complaints came.

"Mom, why don't we put Christmas lights on our house like that one?"

"Mom, why can't we have a bunch of big Christmas decorations like those?"

"Mom, why do those lucky people get to have so many decorations and we don't???"

Well here is the truth, my dear children.

I don't like decorating for Christmas. (Other than decorating the Christmas tree--that's a different thing entirely.) I don't like the mess that it adds to my already messy house. I don't like trying to find the time to do the decorating. Nothing about it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I do like making you cute Christmas clothes, but apparently decorating your bodies doesn't make you as happy as decorating the house would.

Maybe next year I'll find someone who likes decorating houses, and offer to swap with them...

PS--All of the house pictures are from the internet. They are merely representative of the houses we saw last night.

PPS--I might feel entirely different if my thyroid medicine ever starts working again.

PPPS--This is one of those posts that's supposed to make you feel lots better about your own life!

6 comments:

  1. LOL! I hate decorating too. I love Christmas, but I HATE Christmas hype, decorations, obligations etc. I hate the idea that my family has that I should spend five days traveling just to be there on Christmas. It's ONE day out of the whole year. It has lost its meaning and the magic of it is slipping away. It's become about how much money you can spend, how many parties you can attend and how much junk you can eat. It's kind of sad.

    I had a real struggle with Thanksgiving this year too, so maybe I'm just grumpy. And the girls' dresses are adorable. But, I hate to mention this, but did you have to patch one of them (wink)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge fan of Christmas. I'm rather excited about celebrating the simple miracle of the birthof Christ but all of the fanfare and excitement that goes with the lights, Santa and the sense of entitled gifts...not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy--hooray for people who don't want to decorate! But you sure make an awesome chocolate cookie! And I asked Russ as we drove to Raleigh for his work party on Saturday (which was a nice dinner in a freezing cold room) why on earth can't some of this stuff happen in March???

    Sean--oh, I struggle with that one too. Most of my children don't emit the "entitled" vibe, as we've always had modest Christmas giving in our home. (Russ & I both grew up w/o much money in our homes.) But when I want/need to give to someone who has that feeling of entitlement, that is tough for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying really hard this year to focus on *why* I'm giving. I appreciate receiving gifts/treats/cards, etc that are presented 'just so,' but that is definitely not one of my knacks. So sometimes it's hard to give gifts/treats/cards, etc to those knacky people because I feel self-conscious that my presentation doesn't measure up somehow. I have to remind myself that chances are, they are not criticizing the missing final touch, they are happy to have been remembered. That was the message I got out of Hannah's FHE lesson yda: "The Missing Egg" from the Dec Friend.

    I need to remember that I give because I care about them and want to show it... not because there's a secret competition for the best presentation and the 2nd place gifts don't count.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, I like decorating inside. Simple decorating though. And I'm not a fan of the entitlement, either.

    Next year I'll come decorate inside your house okay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy Lynn, mom just has forgotten how much of the decorating you used to do for us. Now the littles are taking over your duties, but please feel free to decorate our house.

    ReplyDelete