Tuesday, December 8, 2009

How to Guarantee Insanity: a Photo Essay

Take these people



and two younger friends to

So that they can buy a rodent with their own money.
("We promise, mommy, it won't cost you anything!)

Try to be patient as they pet every dog that walks by
and examine every rodent available
while speaking in high squeaky animated voices.

Assure store employees that all of these children
will not play with the poor rodent every day.
Promise store employees that only one child per day
will be allowed to touch rodent.
Heave a sigh of relief when store employee reluctantly
agrees to sell you rodent.

Learn that the rodent is a communal animal
and must be purcha$ed with his $ibling.

Buy some

And a
As well some exercise equipment.


And a "hide" to sleep in. Or to "hide" in.

Lastly but not leastly, a heat lamp so that the rodents
will not go into hibernation
when the heat goes off every night.


(Cheaper than keeping the house warm at night, right?)

Let them pay for one rodent.

Pay for the re$t yourself.

Listen to 5 excited children argue about
who's turn it is to hold the rodents in the box.

Cancel all other errands.

Play deaf for the rest of the drive home.


Let children place rodents in their new home.
Give thanks that the one who makes a dash for freedom
and jumps off the table doesn't
A)escape or
B)die.


Finally admit (late one night while alone) that twin rodents are pretty cute!


The End

8 comments:

  1. Wow. I don't know if I would have given in. But now they'll have such great hamster memories. {The kids... maybe the rodents, too? =)} What a nice mommy you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!!! They really told you that only 1 kid could touch the rodent per day???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you not already have enough multiples in your house?:) I went through a succession of 5 or 6 hamsters when I was little and they all died very interesting deaths. One was dropped and broke it's back and had to be squeezed over the toilet because it couldn't empty its bladder (according to our neighbor/vet). Another one electrocuted itself when it got loose and crawled behind the china cabinet and chewed on the wire. Fortunately, they are easily replaceable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "mom, it won't cost you ANYTHING!" hahahahaha

    Yay for multiple non-hibernating hamsters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan--they have been begging for a hamster for years, and I have said no. I finally decided that they were old enough to take care of it (them) and I figured out a place to put the hamster cage. (Which was a big issue for me.)

    CL--they were really worried that if the hamsters get touched too much they will get stressed and get sick. They really emphasized that the hamsters were more of an observation pet rather than an interactive pet. My promise that only one child per day would touch them reassured them that I wasn't going to take them home to be touched to death...

    Katie--I'm relatively sure that right now there are quadruplet squirrels in my attic, so yes, we do have enough! When Josh was little we had a few hamsters and none of them lived very long. Not that any were electrocuted!

    Melissa--yes, it was a beautiful moment!

    Emily--just you wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not for me. (I say that now.) My sister had so many mice I couldn't even count them all (but I could smell them)... all I know was that she started with two. :)

    ReplyDelete