Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Lessons Learned from a Convertible


Since your fearless (and magnificent) blog owner is so busy, I thought I would crowd in to give you all a bit to feast on. As you will remember, I'm having a mid-life "event". It started at Father's Day with a convertible. My lovely wife pushed me into the final act of actually buying it instead of just talking about it like I had been doing. Well, now I have a few things that I have learned while driving a convertible (which for some reason can't seem to be driven with the top up, maybe I'll get over that later).

1. When the picture at the beginning of the post is what you see in your window, hang way back, your nose will thank you.

2. A continuation of (1), if you find your self driving behind a hog truck (a semi truck filled with live pigs), definately pass it. Amazingly, you can start to smell this about a mile before you even know it is in front of you.

3. People are friendly. I get more people talking to me when waiting in a drive through line then I ever have before.

4. No I won't trade cars with you, thanks but no. (Unless it is a new Ferrari or something like that.)

5. When one is driving towards a rainstorm and you start driving on road that has puddles still on it, it would be wise to pull over and put the top up at that moment. Not later on when you drive into the rain.

6. 80s hair is back. Remember that puffy hair people would spend hours using a blow dryer to get, just a 30 minute drive on the freeway and you will have all the puffed up hair you want.

7. Small pieces of paper must be secured. I've never been one to be overly clean in my car. With a convertible, it is a must. If not, the wind/air will clean it for you and you might get a ticket for it (no I didn't get a ticket).

8. Turn down the radio when you slow down. It really is louder than you think to everyone else since you have nothing to trap the sound waves.

8a. For some reason, NPR doesn't sound as good in a convertible. My CDs seem to have become popular to me again.


9. A hot muggy day, is still a hot muggy day even with the top down. However, if you are going 70 on the freeway, you don't feel it as much.

10. They really are a lot of fun to drive.

2 comments:

  1. LOL - I laughed out loud at the hog truck one!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever get a chance to drive a convertible, I'll remember your advice. =)

    ReplyDelete