Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day 4— Getting to Moab


A week or so before we left on our trip my sister Laila called to tell me that she and her kids were spending a few days in Price & Moab. I was so envious—I've wanted to go to Southern Utah for a few years but haven't figured out a way to do it with Josh's school schedule and my aversion to 100+ degree days.

As I was talking to Laila that day I realized that since we were going to be driving to Utah via I-70 this year, we would be driving right past Moab. It was a done deal in that moment. I decided that instead of driving all the way to our first Utah destination, we would stop in the afternoon and enjoy Arches that evening and the next morning before continuing on. Being able to get a free hotel with my credit card points sealed the deal.

I did a little more research on the trip to Arches and learned something interesting. Arches & Moab are at one point of a triangle, the sides of which are formed by Highway 191, Interstate 70, and Highway 128. Most people take 191 when they're going to Arches & Moab because it's a much nicer & straighter road. Since we would have to drive about 30 miles past 128 to get to 191, I decided to try to find out more about 128.

I learned that Highway 128 is a Utah Scenic Byway, and is considered one of the 4 most scenic drives in the Western United States. Well I am all about scenic drives. I decided that we would take 128 to Moab, and 191 when we left Moab.

As we got off of I-70 going towards 128 I had a twinge of worry. The sign telling that there were no services for the next however many miles didn't make me feel any more confident. Neither did passing a place called Cisco, which may once have been a town but is now just a collection of dilapidated shacks. It truly was a desolate area.

Within a couple of miles, however, the highway started running along the Colorado River and I stopped worrying and started enjoying the beautiful scenery. And it was lovely. Even the kids were appreciative--and you know that's saying a lot!

All of the mountains & rocks were a deep red color that contrasted beautifully with the green vegetation. Some of the rocks made incredible formations that looked like towers or people.

After we'd driven for quite a while one of the children (who shall remain nameless) announced a pressing need for a bathroom. I was a little panicked — how was I supposed to produce a bathroom in the middle of nowhere? Happily we soon passed a little campground on the side of the river, complete with what must be one of the world's most primitive potties.

While that child was thusly engaged, the rest of the kids decided that they would explore the wonderland of rocks that was on the other side of the road. Undeterred by the fact that most of them were wearing only crocs or sandals, they started climbing.

We probably spent an hour there. They had such a great time I had a hard time pulling them away.

It's hard to convey the size of this area, or the magnitude and number of the rocks. When Jason climbed as far as he could in the time allowed he was just a small speck. (A small, very happy speck!)

By the time we climbed back down the little kids had all found rocks that were treasures and "needed" to come home with us. They were so sad when I was firm that the rocks had to stay where they belonged. Jared contented himself with writing his name on one of the big rocks.

As we left and continued our drive to Moab big clouds rolled in over the mountains. It was beautiful and I hoped we'd see a storm, but no luck.

We arrived in Moab, checked into our hotel, (nice lobby, inadequate room airconditioning...) found some dinner, and had a quick swim in the pool before starting our Arches Adventure.

(to be continued)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing more fun familiy memories. I look forward to the continuing saga. =)

    ReplyDelete