Monday, December 22, 2008

My Favorite Christmas Music

I know, I know...I just posted about wanting the music out of my head. But then Jason put a cd on in the kitchen, and I just love this music so much and knew that most of you have never heard it. And so I finally figured out how to make a playlist (so cool!) so that you could hear these songs. They're by a Christian group called Reliant K, and you have to listen to them together--first "Silent Night/Away In a Manger", and then "I Celebrate the Day." Here are the lyrics to "I Celebrate the Day." They touch me deeply every year.

"I Celebrate The Day"

And with this Christmas wish is missed
The point I could convey
If only I could find the words to say
to let You know how much You've touched my life

Because here is where You're finding me,
in the exact same place as New Year's eve

And from a lack of my persistence
We're less than half as close as I want to be

And the first time
That You opened Your eyes
Did You realize that You would be my Savior
?
And the first breath that left Your lips
Did You know that it would change this world forever?

And so this Christmas I'll compare the things I felt in prior years
To what this midnight made so clear
That You have come to meet me here

To look back and think that
This baby would one day save me
In the hope that what You did
That you were born so I might live
To look back and think that
This baby would one day save me

And I, I celebrate the day
That You were born to die
So I could one day pray for You to save my life.

Now anyone who knows me well at all is at this point saying "wait! I thought her favorite Christmas song is Angels We Have Heard on High!?!" And it is. And I have a cd with 21 different versions to prove it. I love it that much. (Angels calypso style is pretty great!) But the lyrics of that one really touch me.

Speaking of Angels, that was our congregational hymn yesterday during our choir Christmas program. (Thank you Kathleen for indulging me!) While looking for something else on Sally DeFord's website I found that she had created a 4 hand piano accompaniment to go along with the regular organ accompaniment from the hymn book. Well I just found that on the playlist website too--so if you want to know what our congregational hymn sounded like yesterday, listen to this. It is a huge and beautiful sound. And the funny part is, on the 3rd verse it has an extra part that sound a lot like the soprano descant we thought we made up to use yesterday!

1 comment: