Friday, October 5, 2012

One-upsmanship

I love homeschooling my homeschooled kids.  I love that my public schooled kid goes to public school.  I am glad I have educational choices for my kids and am happy that everyone else does too. 

Apparently not everyone is as liberal in their beliefs…

 

This morning while I was exercising (at “Curbs,” as Jared calls it) two women were talking about the high school schedule.  They asked where my child went to school and I told them the name of the school that Josh goes to, and then added that I also have 6th graders who are homeschooled.  This is part of the conversation that followed.

 

Her:  Well you know, you just can’t homeschool kids.  I mean, my kids were doing harder math in elementary school than I did in high school.  It’s just not possible to do a good enough job.

Me: Actually there are all sorts of resources available to help teach your kids.  Both of my older kids were homeschooled through high school and both went to college with scholarships, one of them with a full scholarship.

Her:  Well there are just too many things you can’t provide in a homeschool.  For instance, they need that socialization.  And it’s not like you can provide a science lab, or anything like that.

Me:  Well actually I did buy a science curriculum that included a lab, and a microscope, and everything my son needed.

Her:  And my daughter is taking child development, and she’s working in the preschool at the high school, working with the children of the faculty members.

 

At this point I realized that nothing I was going to say was going to convince her that it was “possible” to homeschool.

 

What I said: Wow, that’s really great.

What I thought: Well, I GAVE BIRTH to a preschool for my daughter!!!

5 comments:

  1. This is the funniest thing I have read in a LONG TIME! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome~!!!! Perfect response. Most days I wish for one of the quick thinking Watson brains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! That made me laugh out loud!!! Too true. I'm pretty sure I learned more about child development living with baby triplets than I would have working in a preschool! And I've gotten into similar conversations many times. People just can't get over the dumb socialization thing. The real irony is, I felt like when I got to college my social skills were miles ahead of my peers. Whereas they had only learned to relate to and communicate with people in their exact demographic, I was very good at developing relationships with all kinds of different people (older, younger etc). I also was so much better at taking care of my own schedule and actually getting my work done. None of my freshman roommates would actually do their homework!!! After that first semester I sort of ended up feeling like geez, people should be freaking out about social skills and motivation in public schoolers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! You are a better woman than I am. My blood boils just thinking about that conversation. I don't think I would have kept my cool. :)

    ReplyDelete