Monday, October 15, 2012

I Can’t Keep the Fire Burning…

Our new house has a fireplace.  In fact it has two fireplaces.  One in the family room that we are likely to use because this is where we spend most of our time, and one in the living/piano room that we are less likely to use because we don’t (at this point) spend much time in there.

The other morning I decided that it was chilly enough that a fire would be a good idea.  Now I know that conventional wisdom would say that fires make your house colder rather than warmer, and I have no clue whether or not that’s true.  But it seemed like a cozy idea.  And so I did it.  Only problem was, all of the pieces of wood (nicely left by the previous owners) in the garage are kind of big, and I had no way to make them smaller.  So I just made a log cabin fire (thank you girl’s camp) as best I could and used pieces of cardboard (which we have plenty of) as kindling.

At first it looked great.

DSC_2289

But within a few minutes…not so good…

DSC_2291

Clearly I have a lot to learn.  Maybe I need firemaking lessons?

2 comments:

  1. You brave soul! Why does it make it colder? That can't be right, can it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colder because fireplaces without an insert or wood stove are not efficient, most of the heat goes up the chimney with the smoke. Also that nice draft of hot air rising pulls in air from the room to go with it.

    ReplyDelete