Sunday, July 31, 2011

One of Those Moments

 

There are moments you remember all your life,
There are moments you wait for and dream of all your life,
This is one of those moments…

July 2011 073 Jason with our recently released bishop.

 

 

When Jason was young, probably 6 or so, there was a talk in sacrament meeting about going on a mission.  After sacrament meeting I walked to the primary room and met Jason coming from the drinking fountain.  For some reason I asked him if he was ok, and he started crying.  Through his sweet tears he told me that he really wanted to be a missionary, but he didn’t want to leave me because he would miss me too much. 

Jason 1

I reassured him that it would be a long, long time before he would get to be a missionary, and told him that it was a good thing he couldn’t go right then because I would miss him too.

 

In that moment, nineteen seemed light years away.  There was still cub scouts, senior primary, scouts and young mens, dances and passing the sacrament, dating and college to experience.  Age 19 seemed a million milestones away.  Yet all of a sudden it’s here.

 

Last Sunday I sat in sacrament meeting and listened to my son speak about how we can find peace in troubled times.  I listened to him talk about how he feels about going to Chile to serve as a missionary, and I wept because I have been waiting for this moment all of his life, and I could not believe it is here.

 

Sunday night I watched as people in our ward came to wish Jason well on his mission. The cultural hall was filled with members of our ward family, all thrilled for Jason.  I took pictures of him with his friends, realizing that this is the end of this part of his life.  And I still could not believe that this moment is here.

 July 2011 077

Which is why, for the week and then the next two years I will be reminding myself,

There are moments you remember all your life,
There are moments you wait for and dream of all your life,
This is one of those moments…

3 comments:

  1. I love it when you are on your computer right next to me and I have no idea you are writing about me... It's hitting me pretty hard too--how did I get this old??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe Jason is ready to head out to Chile! He will make an awesome missionary...thanks for the sweet story beforehand too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard something on the radio the other day (about the decline in the teaching of cursive writing in schools, actually:)- one woman pointed out that with change, always comes loss. But great gain comes too...that's what I think is so hard about these moments- the loss is real and right in front of you and the gain is still in the future. Congrats on raising a son who has the faith to go forward:).

    ReplyDelete