Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The End of an Era

I came late to the Harry Potter thing; Cindy Lynn’s piano teacher showed me the book and I agreed with her that it looked far too scary for children.  But then Alisyn read it and told me how great it was and I was hooked.  Cindy Lynn, Russ, and I waited eagerly for each new book, fighting to see who got to read them first.  I was thrilled when a new one came while I was on bedrest with the triplets—what a diversion that was!  I also credit Harry Potter with turning Jason and then Josh into independent readers.

When the movies started I wasn’t sure what I thought.  How could books that were so rich, filled with such lavish adventures, be adequately transformed into film?  Some things I liked, others I wasn’t so sure about.  But I would never have missed seeing them.

Most of the movies we saw on opening day with Ken and Alisyn and their kids.  Knowing that we often celebrate exciting experiences with a new Christmas ornament, they gave us a Harry Potter Christmas ornament after the first Harry Potter movie.  I can’t remember exactly what happened but the ornament broke right away, leaving the string attached to Harry’s head and his body/broomstick separate.  Every year we laugh about “Nearly Headless Harry” as we hang his head on the tree and put his body up on the mantle. 

 

I loved the last Harry Potter book.  I was amazed at how deftly JK Rowling tied up loose ends and at the emotional intensity of the final battle.  I was sad to think that this was the last book, but not overly sad because at that point there were still 3 movies to go.

 

Now we have seen the last movie, and it is still hard to believe that it is All Done; that our 14 year journey with Harry Potter is at an end.  We went (with Ken and Alisyn,their kids and Ann) to the IMAX in Raleigh and watched the last movie in larger than life 3D. 

July 2011 005

July 2011 006

July 2011 007

One of the most fun things was that the entire theater was decorated for the movie. 

July 2011 004

July 2011 009

July 2011 003

The movie was amazing.  Terrifically true to the book, and emotionally riveting.  We were exhausted by the time it was all over, and some of us were in tears more than once. 

Now I think my kids are ready to go to Hogwarts.

July 2011 017

July 2011 014

July 2011 017

July 2011 019

 

What an adventure—thank you JK Rowling, from the bottom of my heart!

July 2011 011

1 comment: