Sunday, July 17, 2011

Surprise!

Our original travel plans included a three day visit with my brother’s family in Kentucky, going to church with them on Sunday, and then driving home.  By the time we arrived late Wednesday night I was seriously thinking of revising my travel plan; I hated the thought of Russ spending the whole weekend alone again, and let’s face it, I missed him!  So I told the kids to cram their cousin-fun into 2 1/2 days, and Saturday afternoon we loaded the car and started our last drive east.

But.

We didn’t tell Russ.

I waited all afternoon and evening for him to call, hoping I would be able to talk to him without giving away our surprise.  As it happened he called right before 10pm, when we were pulling out from McDonalds where I’d bought late night treats.  I told him we were out for a late night ice cream run.  What I didn’t tell him was that instead of being in Kentucky, this particular McDonalds was just 1 short mile from this:

trip home 2011 565

Two and a half hours later we pulled into the driveway, sneaked into the house as quietly as we could, and jumped on him in the bed. 

Boy was he SURPRISED!!

I love it when that happens.  :)

 

We let the little kids sleep in this morning but I got up and went to church just so I could sit close to him for a couple of hours.  And here we are, tired but oh so happy to be together again!!!

trip home 2011 566

3 comments:

  1. How funny! You're lucky you didn't get a black eye before he realized it wasn't an intruder jumping on his bed! (though, that may have made an even better story) :)

    I saw you today (looking oh-so-fabulous in your dress, by the way) and kept making my way over to say hi, but it seems we were on two different social paths, each of us getting caught up in another conversation before I could say hi. :) Anyway, I missed you, and I'm glad you're back again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great surprise! I love it! I can only imagine how thrilled/freaked out he must have been!
    Sure glad you made it back and had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! You and your travels inspired me- we're in SC right now- just the kids and me (and my mom, of course). I made the whole six hour drive by myself- I was so proud!! Don't think I'll be driving across the country any time soon, but it's a start:). So glad you're back safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete