Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What’s for breakfast?

Figuring out what to feed my kids all day every day is something that often makes me a little crazy.  They would probably be happy to eat cold cereal every morning but I’m not impressed by the nutritional value of cold cereal, and I think it significantly impacts our grocery budget (because of the cereal and the extra milk) when they’re eating it frequently.  So I am always excited when I figure out something new to add to our breakfast rotation.

This summer it’s definitely German Pancakes.  I first had german pancakes a million years ago when I was driving home to North Carolina from BYU.  The other people that I was driving with were all excited about them, but I was not impressed.  Then last summer my friend Katie offered to make german pancakes for us and I was so surprised that I like them.  And Rachel loved them.  Russ made them again for us several months later and once again I was unimpressed and couldn’t remember why I’d liked them before.  I was definitely confused by my on again, off again dislike of german pancakes. 

Katie made them again for us when we were in Utah and this time she told me the secret.  And believe me, this is the secret that makes all the difference.  While you’re mixing everything up, you preheat the glass baking dish and the butter—then you pour the hot batter into the heated dish and presto, your german pancakes is nice and crunchy on the outside instead of limp and eggy. 

I try not to eat a lot of syrup (read: sugar with flavor) so I’ve experimented and every way I’ve eaten these has been delicious.  My favorite was probably with my home canned peaches, but I am sad to say that Rachel ate all the rest of the peaches so that’s out for now.  They’ve also been great with strawberry freezer jam, my new raspberry freezer jam, or with fresh fruit. 

Sometimes i make them in 2 8x8 casseroles instead of 1 9x13 so that we have more edges.  This time I forgot to do that, but they were still terrific.

Rachel and I say YUM. 

IMG_4066

German Pancake

6 T butter

6 eggs

1 c milk

1 c flour

1 t salt

1 t vanilla

Place 9x13 glass casserole dish in oven with butter in it.  Turn oven on to 425.  While dish is heating, mix ingredients in blender.  Once dish is hot pour batter in quickly.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Top with syrup, jam, fresh or bottled fruit. 

 

4 comments:

  1. This is one of Mackenzie's favorite things to make. I don't do eggs like this so I won't be trying it but... I am more then willing to let Mackenzie make it for everyone else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat them witha squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Our Sunday after church tradition !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then again, we have to do SOMETHING that uses all those eggs the chickens lay or at times we'd be over run :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me think of the first time I ever had (or heard of) a German pancake...but I'm thinking that story is more post-length than comment length! You people are SO impressive with your breakfasts! I will have to try this for my kids...I wonder if you can do the batter the night before?

    ReplyDelete