Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Seize Each Moment

Many years ago my visiting teaching companion and I were called to visit a sister in our ward that I didn’t know very well.  From the very beginning I enjoyed my time with this sweet sister, and as the years rolled by my companion and I developed a deep love for her.  For the first couple of years her husband was rarely home when we came to visit, but then his schedule changed and he was often home and would sit in on part of our visit. 

I learned that her husband was a fascinating man.  He had been everywhere and seemed to know something about everything.  You may think I’m exaggerating, but here is a list of just some of the things that we have talked about over the last couple of years:

  • Mount Everest
  • the South Pole (and his time there)
  • hamsters
  • the new conference center organ
  • mountain climbing
  • water purification systems
  • emergency cooking setups
  • gardening
  • car problems
  • and probably Mount Everest again!

I always enjoyed my evenings in their home.  I think that I assumed that they would go on forever.

You all know how that story went—leaving this dear sister and her husband was one of the profound sorrows of leaving Durham.

I went to visit a few nights before I left town, and he was at a meeting.  She & I had a lovely conversation together and I told her to give him my love.  Later in the week I answered my cell phone and was surprised to hear him on the other end.  He had called me to say goodbye since he hadn’t been home when I visited.  I was so touched by his gesture. 

We talked that day for a few minutes and he told me how much my visits had meant, both to his wife and to him.  He told me that my companion and I had almost convinced him to join the Relief Society.  I don’t remember what else we chatted about, but I know that I cried and that I assured him that I would see him and talk with him in August.

 

My friend had a massive stroke last week.  He is in the hospital now, partially paralyzed and unable to speak. 

I keep reviewing his phone call in my mind, and over and over I think how grateful I am that he reached out to me, that we had this last conversation and said our goodbyes.  I am so grateful to have heard his cheerful voice one more time.

 

We think that there will always be more time; more time to do the things that matter and more time to say the things that matter even more.

I’ve learned this last week that there may not be.  Life is more fragile than we know. 

And I will always be grateful for that phone call.

1 comment:

  1. I visited K yesterday, he is coming along. He is very changed, but still K, too! I've thought about the very topic of your post alot this past week...life can change in an instant, and, you hope you've remembered "your" important phone calls to make too! Hope all is well there! You're all missed!

    ReplyDelete