Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Grocery Issues

I ran into Martha last week while shopping at Kroger. (Not literally, thank you very much!) She persuaded me that I really needed to buy some green bags so that my produce would stay fresh longer.

I was not very moved by her pointing out how much longer my bananas would stay fresh; there are so many monkeys living in my house that the bananas rarely get ripe enough for banana bread. Every now and then I'll spy a banana that seems to be about ready to die of old age and I'll start planning a baking session, but invariably the next time I walk through the kitchen the banana is gone.

I did think that perhaps the bags would help keep our salad and spinach fresh a little longer and so I bought them. I'll let you know what I think.

In the meantime, I bought these bananas at Costco that same day last week, thinking that they would ripen in a few days. Here are my Costco bananas, 7.5 days later.

Do they have a bag for that??

8 comments:

  1. Tell me about it! Mine usually turn yellow after a few days (you are supposed to leave them in the bag they come in until they turn, then take them out). But the ones I bought two weeks ago were still green a week later! I took them back and they were very nice about it. Linsday swears her Costco bananas never turn. It must have something to do with the alignment of the planets...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My neighbor was complaining about the same thing... maybe it's the batch! And don't they ripen faster in paper bags? I rarely buy bananas at Costco anymore. I just don't like them as well. Of course, I'm the only one who consistently eats them, so I'm okay with getting less, ripe bananas than more non-ripe ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We must have bought them the same week. Mine are still green and I bought them before the storm. Good to know Costco will take them back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Audrey logged in as Josh. It gets me everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But Audrey, when you do that we get to see Josh's pretty face!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laila--I think that the bags work by absorbing the chemical that makes the fruits/veggies ripen more quickly. (Maybe I can pipe it in with my bananas??)

    Audrey--that IS such a pretty face!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paper bags work very well. I use them all the time to get my peaches ripe. I only do one at a time, it usually only takes one or two days and they are very ripe.

    ReplyDelete