Monday, April 23, 2012

SKYPE Will Keep Us Together

I was really apprehensive when I realized that Russ & I were going to be spending a huge chunk of time apart.  I mean sure, I go to Utah for a week every spring.  And drive there with the kids sometimes in the summer.  I even went to help my sister with her twins last spring and was gone for 2 1/2 weeks.

But this?  I knew this was going to be much, much longer.

And quite honestly, folks, we just don’t do that great on the telephone.  It’s not for lack of trying, most of the time—it’s just the way it is.

Fortunately technology has made our time apart so much easier.  Let me say that again.  So Much Easier than it would otherwise have been.  Thanks to Skype, we can video chat every morning and every night. (Except for when I’m having book club, because let’s be serious—I’d ignore him on book club night even if he was home!) I am amazed at how much better (BETTER!!!!) we do with video chatting.  I don’t know what it is, but being able to see each other while we’re talking just seems to make all the difference in the world as to how connected to each other we feel.

Now I know that some people (not gonna mention your name, Lindsay!) get annoyed when their spouses are watching themselves and making faces in skype, but Russ just laughs at me when I do it.  And he’s really nice and sweet when I just sit there and cry from sadness and exhaustion.  And he entertains me too.  As long as we have to be across the country from each other, this sure makes it a lot better. 

I told Russ to smile for the camera so that I could record a picture for posterity.  So here you have it, posterity…

skype 1

skype 2

skype 5

skype 4

He sure keeps me entertained!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that works well for you. I love to talk to my kids on skype (or I've loved it the few times I've done it), am ambivalent about it when it comes to my husband, and I HATE HATE HATE talking to anyone else on it- it just feels so awkward to me- there's that one-second delay, and the picture sometimes freezes up, and why do I need to see you when I already know what you look like? If ever Eric is skyping with friends or family, unless there's a new haircut or a new baby involved, I HIDE IMMEDIATELY!! Wow- apparently I have some strong emotions about skype, but still, glad it's made things easier for you guys:)

    ReplyDelete