Friday, May 15, 2015

There are two kinds of people in the world...

There are two kinds of people in the world:
  • Those who like to try something different every time to make sure that they're not missing out on the best thing,
  • and those who like their favorite thing so much that they'd just as soon experience it every time.
There are two kinds of people in the world:
  • Those who like to stay in regular contact with their favorite people
  • and those who don't need to stay in contact and can pick up at anytime as if there's been no time apart.
There are two kinds of people in the world:
  • People who like to go to bed early and wake up early,
  • and people who do not.
There are two kinds of people in the world:
  • Those who were born organized
  • and those who's brains struggle to figure out how to organize anything.
-----

I was frustrated with a friend one time for not doing something the way it should be done.  (Translation: the way I wanted it.)  Then much to my surprise I found myself talking to another friend, one that I respected very much, and listening to this second friend telling me a story that showed me that she was just like the first friend that I was so upset with.

It kind of turned my brain inside out.  

It's interesting, though, as I listen to people and hear opinions and feelings that are vastly different from my own.  Really?  You like getting up at 5AM???  Seriously?  Everything in your life is organized???  (And will you come to my house?!?)  But don't you want to....????

-----

My aunt collects kaleidoscopes--a collection that provides delight to her grown-up nieces and nephews. (And more than a little trepidation when their young kids want to look too!) 

Every time I visit I spend time looking through any number of small holes at the shifting shapes that filled my vision.  One time I had the thought that people are just like kaleidoscopes.  They all start out with the same basics pieces, but there is at least a slight shift of difference between each one--and sometimes much more than a slight shift.  So regardless of starting with the same pieces, every image is different.  

I also think that people are like sound boards.  

Everyone has the same "sliders," but each person's sliders on every trait or characteristic are adjusted differently from every other person.

Why am I writing about this?  I don't really know.  Partly because it's just been fascinating to me to see that rational intelligent adults can actually really & truly feel differently than I do.  Partly because the concept of kaleidoscopes-are-like-people has fascinated me for a long time.  But mostly to remind myself that just because I like it one way, just because I am one way, doesn't mean that other people are always going to be like me, feel like me, function like me.  And that would be very helpful to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment