Sunday, May 24, 2015

Coming to terms with myself: Abundance


I was just listening to a podcast by Gretchen Rubin (author of the Happiness Project) and she answered a question I've had for a while.  I hear people (including many people I love) talk about minimalism, wanting to be minimalists, etc, and I am puzzled.  I sort of understand the attraction but can tell deep in my bones it would never be the real me.  In this podcast Gretchen just asked her sister, "So are you someone who loves simplicity, or someone who loves abundance?"  That's me.  Abundance.

I'm sure there are some things in my life that I want to be simple.  I want my typical daily schedule to be simple.  I want my routines to be simple.  I want my walls and furnishings to be relatively simple.  But there are a lot more places where I want abundance.  I want an abundance of beauty around me.  I want an abundance of travel, an abundance of clothes to choose from, an abundance of fabric to sew, an abundance of flowers flowering in my yard.  An abundance of clematis plants on an abundance of trellises.  An abundance of lovely moments with people I love.

Thank you, Gretchen, for explaining me to myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment