Thursday, May 15, 2014

The pictures I continually forget to take

I’m really good at taking some kinds of pictures.  I’m good, for instance, at taking out my camera to try to capture a beautiful light on the water.  I’m good at taking a picture of the lovely flower that’s blooming or the strange tree near my house.  I have a good visual record of my life that way. 

What frustrates me are the pictures that I forget—the pictures with people.  Part of it is the the cumbersomeness of it.  I’m a lousy selfie taker (unless I’m trying for an unflattering picture) and so to have a picture with a friend means we need to find someone else to take it.  But even more than that I’m generally having such fun with whoever I’m with that I completely forget to get a picture of us together.

And then I leave my lunch date, or my visit with your family, or my trip to your daughter’s wedding reception and I have no picture.  It’s not that I can’t survive without these pictures, because I can.  It’s just that I want a visual reminder of the great time we’ve had together.  A picture of the two of us that reminds me how lucky I am to have so much love in my life.  Something that will make me smile and remember every time I see it.

I’m going to try harder, I really am.  And hopefully, next time, in addition to the picture of the rose/beach/waterfall/bird I’ll also have a picture of you and me. Together.

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking the exact same thing!!! How did I let you leave without snapping a picture of you and me together? So sad about that... At least I have the fun memories in my brain, right?

    ReplyDelete