Saturday, May 24, 2014

It’s Ba-ack!

Remember our fight against the invasive bamboo last year?  Well it appears to be almost that time again.  Here is a picture I just took from the driveway.

DSC_3913 e

1=little shoots of bamboo that have been around for some time now.

2=a stalk of bamboo that showed up a few days ago.

3=a stalk of bamboo that just showed up yesterday morning.

This year my strategy is going to be slightly different.  I’m going to go back to the bamboo place and buy some bamboo barrier.  You have to dig a hole that is 2 feet deep, line it with this barrier, then refill it with dirt.  Then I’m going to try to dig up the rhizomes that have produced these new shoots and transplant them to the spot in my backyard where I want a big bamboo screen.  Will it work?  Who knows, but it’s definitely worth a try.  And maybe I need a little bamboo barrier by my driveway too!

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, We have bamboo that grows in the corner of our garden, and it's a PAIN to get rid of. It comes from a neighbor's yard. We've tried and tried, so let me know what works!

    ReplyDelete