Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 9: recalculating…recalculating…recalculating…

Do you know how a gps sounds when you take a wrong turn, or keep driving past the point when you should have turn?  It tells you that now it needs to figure out a new way to get to your destination.  And it does by announcing that it is

recalculating…recalculating…recalculating…

So. 

Day 9 found us in San Antonio, ready for the highlight of our trip.  Three days at Sea World. 

Now you must understand that I love Sea World.  Of all the amusement parks I’ve ever been to, I love Sea World more.  In fact I’ll go one more than that and say that of all the dolphin interactions I’ve ever experienced (and there have been quite a few), I love Sea World more.

I love Sea World.

Over the last four months I have motivated myself over and over again by thinking of just how awesome it was going to be to go to Sea World for not just one, not just two, but three whole days.  It has been a powerful incentive.

So on Monday morning we got up, packed our bag with water bottles and snacks, made sure we had enough cash to buy fish to feed the dolphins, and started driving.  I was talking to my sister on the phone as we approached Sea World.  I’m sure I sounded like this:

How exciting!  We can see Sea World!  We are close enough to the roller coaster to touch it!!  How strange, Sea World is right across the street from a jr. high school.  That’s funny, there isn’t an entrance here, we must be on the wrong side…no, now we’ve driven all down the other side and there’s no entrance there either…ok, I’m going to have to call Russ now so that he can tell me where I should be going.

When I got Russ on the phone and he looked up the information he told me to go back to the area where I had been, just past the school.  I drove back and forth, finally realizing that the entrance was indeed just past the roller coaster, but that it was gated shut.  When I got closer I saw that there was a calendar on the gate…

and when I got closer still I could see that the calendar had different colored days on it, and that the color of Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were the color of “Sea World is closed today.”

I was stunned.  In all of my dreaming of these days, it had never occurred to me that Sea World might not even be open when we were in San Antonio.  We had already rented an apartment for 4 nights.  It was a done deal, and now there was no Sea World to go to.

I drove unhappily back to the apartment, trying to figure out what I was going to do.  I was so upset that my brain just felt scrambled.  When we got back to the apartment I pulled up my computer and started searching out the different options.

recalculating…recalculating…recalculating…

The short version of my long story is that I decided that it wouldn’t work with the rest of my travel plans to hang around San Antonio waiting for Sea World to open again at the end of the week.  I decided instead to move everything up and go to San Diego at the end of the week so that we could go to Sea World there.  The truth is that I felt kind of silly making this decision.  I felt like a grownup would just shrug it off, say oh well better luck next time, and just deal with Sea World being closed.  But that wasn’t how I felt, that wasn’t what I wanted to do, and happily for me Russ was supportive of me handling it however I wanted.

A tremendous blessing in the whole thing was that I hadn’t already paid for the tickets online, though I had planned to the day before at Jeremy’s house.  Another blessing was that the apartment manager that I had rented from for the 4 days in San Antonio was willing to refund half of my money when I only stayed 2 days. 

I also decided that as part of our recalculating we could afford to buy a last minute one way plane ticket for Cindy Lynn to come join us in San Diego on Monday morning, and that that way she could help me drive back to Utah next Wednesday.  She was in favor of that plan too. 

Once I had the new travel plans figured out I told the kids we could do whatever fun thing they wanted to do.  They decided that we should go see the movie the Avengers, and it was lots of fun.  We all loved it.  Then we drove to downtown San Antonio to go and see the famed River Walk.  It was just as beautiful as I’d always heard, and once again I thought that I really needed Russ there with me so that we could walk around and enjoy it together.  My eleven year old travel companions tried valiantly to be good sports but they didn’t want to have to walk that far and they really just weren’t that interested.  We had a yummy mexican dinner on the River Walk which was very fun and then we slowly made our way back to the car.

  Image05072012191600

When I realized that the Alamo was very near the River Walk I decided that we’d just go and drive around it before heading back to our apartment.  I hadn’t heard great things about the tour and decided that a drive by would be sufficient. 

On our way back to the apartment it started to storm…first just thunder and lightning, and then by the time we went to bed, driving pounding rain…

(to be cont.)

2 comments:

  1. My heart sank right out of my chest when I realized where this was going...but I am SO glad you re-calculated and will still get some time with Shamu! And that Cindy Lynn will get to be there! You should look up the Becks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The triplets are going to remember this trip forever as "the coolest thing ever", I bet! What a fun mom.

    ReplyDelete