Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 4: In the Gulf

Before you start to get all worried about us, let me specify the Gulf that we spent much of the day in:

The Gulf of Mexico.

As in: almost an ocean.

As in: happiness.

As in: sunburn.

 

It happened this way.  When I was first fantasizing my way across the United States, thinking about my fantasy visit to Katie & the aquarium, then thinking about other things I’d like to visit, I realized that just a hop, skip, and jump south of Katie’s house was my brother & sister in law’s beach house.  And I started hoping that it wouldn’t be rented when we started to travel.

We spent Thanksgiving in 2009 here with Larry and Gaye, and it is one of our favorite memories.  We were a little surprised to get to the beach and find that instead of the lake-calm-ocean we were expecting, the stiff breeze had whipped up some real waves. 

IMG_2538

The lifeguard recommended that we not go out past our knees because of the stiff lateral current.  I told him that this was what the beach we normally go to looks like all of the time.

  IMG_2541

I did check out the situation (and the waves) pretty thoroughly before I let the kids get out past their knees, but seriously.  There was hardly any current of any kind.  In fact the only thing I had to complain about was that when I tried body surfing I ended up with a swimsuit FULL of sand.  (And yes, in all the unfortunate places as well…)

IMG_2549

The only other thing I could complain about was that I laid down on my towel and actually snoozed for a few minutes, just long enough to get really sunburned.  (Didn’t I learn this lesson last Memorial Day at the beach???) Rachel got pretty burned too while she was reading.  Jared was smart enough to wear his shirt the whole time, and Jenna made sure not to spend too long in any one position.  Smart girl.

IMG_2575

I ended the day by sending everyone—the three of them and me too—to bed early.  So that we’d be ready to do it all again the next day…

IMG_2578

IMG_2569

2 comments:

  1. You're making me want to plan a cross-country trip with my family. It sounds like you're having so much fun already... how I would have loved to chat with you and Katie, and then spend a few days on the beach! I can't wait to read about all of your other adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete