Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Reading of the Riot Act

 

All day yesterday I was thinking of what our Family Night lesson should be about.  I thought and I prayed throughout the day, and finally the thought came to me that I should teach them about the importance of work in Heavenly Father’s plan.  After some searching I printed out the lesson from the gospel principles manual on work, and an Ensign article from 2009 that had stories from the lives of the first presidency.

We started by each looking up a scripture, and after we read all of our verses I asked the kids what they had in common.  It didn’t take too long to figure out that all of the different scriptures were about work.

After we had talked about the importance of hard work for a little while, I started talking about our attitude about work, and their attitude about schoolwork.  I could tell that the little kids each felt skewered by what I was saying—they sunk farther and farther down onto the couch as I was talking.

The thing is, my kids are great!  Wonderful!  They are obedient and good to do both their chores and their schoolwork.  But their attitudes about school have become worse and worse over the last year.  They spend lots of time talking about how much they hate school, how much they hate math particularly.  And they would be happy to spend all day every day playing computer games. 

So now we’ve read all of the scriptures; that the Lord is not pleased with the idlers in Zion, that the glory of God is intelligence, and that any intelligence we gain in this life will be to our advantage in the life to come. 

 

Will it help?  I hope so.  It is much less enjoyable to homeschool kids who are busy hating much of what they’re doing every day.  I hope we can make an attitude shift.  And I definitely will need to “show forth an increase of love…” tomorrow and in the coming days.

June 2011 376

No comments:

Post a Comment