Sunday, May 1, 2011

Next Time I’m Flying Light (I Promise!)

I’m typing this as I sit in the airport in Chicago, tummy full of salad (too much dressing, ugh) and shoulders sore from lugging my stuff through the airport and onto the plane in Raleigh and then back off of the plane here. 

Russ laughed when I carried my carry-on bag downstairs and picked up my laptop bag.  Every time I travel I vow that I’m going to pack less, and each next time I fail miserably.  Today I’m carrying my laptop (not because I wanted to use it on the plane, but because I didn’t want to check it) and an awesome bag I got at Goodwill for only $2!  Unfortunately my awesome Goodwill bag has about 5 books in it (I need to be able to read!  And what if I finish them all?!?), in addition to my purse and a water bottle, and it’s really heavy after I carry it for more than a minute.  And my laptop bag is always heavy.  Sore shoulders.

April 2011 826

When I fly back in 2 weeks I need to be brave.  And maybe only fly with two books.  I’m pretty sure I can’t fly with just one, but maybe two…  And who knows, maybe I’ll get really brave and check my laptop.  (Russ says no because then it could get stolen…and I guess I don’t want that!)

I did do something today that made my life considerably easier.  I have to wear good shoes when I fly because my feet have never quite recovered from having triplets.  (Not that my feet had triplets…but they still suffered considerably because of the triplet experience.)  It’s always so annoying to have to pull them off in security, then stop and put them back on and tie the laces.  I decided to take a page from my ultra cool son Josh’s book.  He never ties his laces—instead he has them arranged and tucked in in such a way that his shoes don’t fall off of his feet but yet they slip right off and on. 

Here are my shoes today,

April 2011 825 (very unflattering picture of my ankles—I assure you that while I may not have the most attractive ankles in the world, they look much better than that!)

and I am pleased to say that it worked like a charm. 

 

I always think that flying is a modern miracle.  Take a metal tube full of people and lift it into the air, keep it there for hours and move it across the country at 300 miles per hour.  Isn’t technology amazing??

 

April 2011 821

2 comments:

  1. LOL!!! Mahon ALWAYS makes fun of me for bringing 3-4 books along on a weekend trip. I'm always like - but what if I finish them all? And if I only had, say, two, what if I finished the first one and suddenly didn't want to read the second one? I'm glad to realize this is at least an inherited madness.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? Me laugh? Did I do that out loud? I really meant to keep it inside. :)

    ReplyDelete